Astigmatic - Illusion Versus Reality, written by Anne G at Spillwords.com

Astigmatic – Illusion Versus Reality

Astigmatic 

Illusion Versus Reality

written by: Anne G

@TheInkTruth

 

I was recently diagnosed with Astigmatism:

 

“a defect in the eye or in a lens caused by a deviation from spherical curvature which results in distorted images, as light rays are prevented from meeting at a common focus.”

 

Simply said, astigmatism is the inability of the eye or eyes to distinguish without aid, the difference between an illusion versus reality. Giving credence to the saying “my eyes are playing tricks on me.”

The question being, can this be considered a temporary illusion, and if so, is this illusion a reality? How can I really visualize what is not?

For those diagnosed with Astigmatism of the eyes, this defect is relatively easy to correct with the proper prescription and corrective eye wear.

But then a thought presented itself to me … what of astigmatism that plays tricks on the mind’s eye and the poetic heart? Distorted images are much more difficult to comprehend and differentiate, and by their very nature are “tricky”. How does one actually recognize what is real and what is not?

When “true light”, is prevented from entering the heart and mind, we lose the ability to see. Our feelings and emotions are deviated causing us to lose focus and perceive that which is not, making us Astigmatic.

Now …

Although illusions can be poetically explained away, illusions are not real, therefore we should not trick ourselves into believing that that which we wish for with all our hearts and minds will only serve us well as an illusionary concept if grounded in the reality of the truth at hand.

An illusion is just that … a trompe l’oeil.  A figment of the imagination that all too soon evaporates leaving us crestfallen and disillusioned.

Although many times harsh and unpalatable, reality is founded on truth allowing us to understand and avail ourselves of the tangibles before us.

Latest posts by Anne G (see all)