Spotlight On Writers - Sofia Kioroglou at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Sofia Kioroglou

Spotlight On Writers

 Sofia Kioroglou

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I hail from an ancient Aeolian port-town, called Kydonies which served surrounding Greek Aeolian cities, such as Pergamos; since the Ottoman era, the name of the city changed to Ayvalik. My grandparents were refugees who came to Athens and settled down. However, I was born and bred in Athens, Greece.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

Athens is a melting pot of many cultures and nationalities. This potent mix of influences makes it unique in that it signifies the glorious past, present and future of Hellenism. Athens features a beautiful salmagundi of cultural styles of architecture and art. It is simply awesome!

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Anything. I get inspiration from a tear streaming down the cheek of an orphan to a gross social injustice. Also, what turns me off could find its way on my blank sheet of paper.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

My favorite word is asceticism which I have used profusely in my poems.

For example:

“You taught us self-mortification

Your severe asceticism, a glorious purification

Your abstention from sleep, a wake-up call”

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Fanaticism, bigotry and hatred. I detest anything that expresses social injustice.

  1. What defines Sofia Kioroglou? 

I am a fighter, a believer and a visionary. I love purity, social equality and freedom.
I am a sempiternal dreamer!

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Heidi BakerSpotlight On Writers – Francesco Abate >>
Latest posts by Sofia Kioroglou (see all)
This publication is part 70 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers