Interview Q&A with Bridie Murphy, a writer at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Bridie Murphy

Interview Q&A with Bridie Murphy

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Bridie Murphy, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of July 2020.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

 It was a great compliment and honour! I’m walking on air since. Thanks you, Spillwords, for making it possible!

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

My friends and family are the basis and subject matter for most of my writings! My family have always encouraged me to keep going whenever I felt uninspired. Some of my sisters write and have been published also.

  1. What inspires you to write?

The simplest things! A remark from a grandchild, a funny incident, a beautiful scene, an emotion, anything!

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

I figure writing must be in my genes. I can’t pin it down to anything in particular. I loved poetry going to school, the simpler the poem was, the better I liked it!

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process?

An idea comes into my head that I think I can build on. Sometimes that idea forms the last line of my finished poem. I scribble notes as words come to me, and when I get peace and quiet in the evening I settle down to put it all together. I could spend hours awake at night messing with rhymes and stringing words together and when I get up in the morning I jot it all down and edit as I go.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

It’s such fun! I love when it all works out and seeing others enjoy it also gives me great satisfaction.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

Most definitely. As a photographer, some of my writings actually stem from an image taken by me.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

Autobiographies and biographies. True stories definitely.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

My late father. He was forever playing with words. There was no typing back then so there were copybooks of his writings throughout the house. He was gifted with writing and had a book published a few years before his death.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

You have no idea how much your support means to me. I really appreciate it. You have given me the encouragement I needed to continue with my writings.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

That my writing brought pleasure to someone if only momentarily. That it made them smile. That it evoked pleasant memories for them.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?

I appreciate the work that the Spillwords team have put in to give us a platform for expressing and sharing our thoughts and ideas in prose or poetry. Thank you!

Latest posts by Bridie Murphy (see all)