Spotlight On Writers - David Estringel, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – David Estringel

Spotlight On Writers

David Estringel

@The_Booky_Man

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I am a lifelong Texan (USA), having lived in various cities. For most of my life, I lived in the small town of Brownsville that is directly across the border from Mexico. I grew up largely influenced by the surrounding culture; however, what impacted me most was the savage terrain which in its own way is quite beautiful.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

While I have lived in various cities in Texas, Brownsville will always be home. The terrain is Somewhat untamed with mesquite trees and retamas, cacti, and lots of heat. There is a Strange allure to the place that has taught me (over time) that beauty exists in many forms, even when you least expect it.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

I am definitely a slave to my environment. My biggest inspirations come from the life I live, Especially from the circumstances that come with big emotions. Other things like art, music, nature, and relationships also offer up a lot of fodder for my scribblings. I would be remiss, however, if I didn’t tip my hat to the works of writers I admire like Raymond Carver and Federico Garcia Lorca.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

I don’t have a favorite word, per se, but depending on the period in question, I think I gravitate towards some. I love playing with language and am prone to making up words that mean something to me and—at times—have multiple meanings. The last one that comes to mind is blood honey that found its way into multiple poems, representing things from pomegranate juice to heroin to the metaphysical essence of sex:

…drawing us / in /spitting us / out— / blood honey in a syringe— / into the heavenly hell / of this hypodermic love—the sugar / in my veins.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

I guess within the context of writing, my biggest pet peeve is an attempt at erotic poetry that is just plain vulgar. This type of poetry—I feel—has to be handled carefully and from a distance.
When it is solely about the act of sex and jarring in its language, it is nothing more than offensive and simplistic. If you are going to do it, do it well (and with some class) or not at all. I will concede, however, that this perspective is completely subjective.

  1. What defines David Estringel?

My reflection in the eyes of my six dogs. Anything else I could mention is probably tainted with bias and a healthy dose of ego. Those godsends are brutally honest and really keep me real.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Fay Marmalich-VietmeierSpotlight On Writers – Leila Ziari >>
Latest posts by David Estringel (see all)
This publication is part 338 of 393 in the series Spotlight On Writers