Spotlight On Writers - Kate Aranda Nye, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Kate Aranda Nye

Spotlight On Writers

Kate Aranda Nye

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I spent the majority of my childhood in Gloucestershire in the south west of England. University was spent in London and then I eventually left the UK and lived and worked abroad; first in France and then in Spain (my husband is Spanish). About eight years ago I settled back in the UK with my family in the north west of England, in an area known as the Lake District. As such, I don’t necessarily think that I come from just one place. I like to think that I carry a little piece of all these places in my DNA.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The landscape here is spectacular! The lakes and mountains are breathtaking and I often turn a corner and feel that I just don’t have eyes big enough to take in the amazing views! On a simplistic level, it is the colour green. That is something that I really missed when I lived abroad, particularly in Spain; and although every place has its charms, the green of England can never quite be matched!

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Landscape and history. I could be walking in a wood or visiting a ruin and my mind will start buzzing around where I am and what I see. I am so curious about who walked here before me; what were they like, how did they sound? It could be something as simple as a pebble in a stream or a lonely building on the mountainside and I find myself being led away in my imagination – I’m often surprised myself!

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

I was quite stumped by this question. I don’t have a favourite word and trying to choose one makes me feel disloyal to all the others! I know that I love language – not just as it is now, but also how it used to be, its history, how it has grown and developed. When I am writing and looking for an alternative to a word that doesn’t quite fit-in with what I have written, I get a genuine buzz when I come across a replacement that seems to be perfect.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

That honesty and truthfulness seem to be given less and less value in our society. That tolerance, respect, and common decency towards others is presented as a weakness.

  1. What defines Kate Aranda Nye?

I am definitely a dreamer. I love losing myself in my thoughts. This also means that I procrastinate when perhaps I should have more confidence in myself. My life has always been full of little adventures, and I am always curious to see what’s over the horizon. I am a wife (with a wonderful husband), a mother (with two amazing children), a sister, and a daughter. Happiness is a good book by a log fire with a glass of red wine and a great view!

Latest posts by Kate Aranda Nye (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – John Anthony FingletonSpotlight On Writers – Richard LeDue >>
This publication is part 284 of 393 in the series Spotlight On Writers