Spotlight On Writers - Bhakta Bahadur Basnet, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Bhakta Bahadur Basnet

Spotlight On Writers

Bhakta Bahadur Basnet

 

  1. Where do you originate from?

I was born in the rural countryside of Dang District in Nepal, a small South Asian nation sandwiched between China and India. I take pride in my Nepali roots, a country that, though economically behind, is rich in culture, diverse in its people, and blessed with nature. It is the birthplace of Lord Gautam Buddha and home to Mount Everest and the majestic Himalayas. Although I was born into the Hindu faith, I have deep respect for all religions. I belong to a Khas Kshatriya family, a warrior lineage, and carry the middle name ‘Bahadur,’ which means brave.

  1. What do you cherish most about the place you call home?

I enjoy recollecting my childhood memories in the nearby stream of my parental home, ‘Gwarkhola,’ which holds a deep connection to my childhood. Although I have moved several times for studies and work and now live with my family in a city 25 kilometers away from my parental home, the stream remains special to me. Having lost my parents, I often reflect on the time we spent together near Gwarkhola. I long for those innocent childhood days, spent with friends along the stream’s banks—playing, herding cattle, fishing, swimming, and gathering wood during floods. Those memories are what I hold most dear.

  1. What ignites your creativity?

I don’t just plan to sit down and write. My creativity is ignited by anything that reflects my lived experiences. I’ve made mistakes and missed opportunities in the past, which fuels my deep nostalgia. The music, movies, literature, and events that resonate with me serve as my inspiration. Since I often stay away from my family for work, loneliness also plays a role in my writing. Ideas come to me unexpectedly, whether I’m working, traveling, or taking a morning walk, and I make sure to jot them down when they do. I frequently wake up in the middle of the night with a strong urge to write; these bursts of inspiration hit me suddenly, compelling me to capture the thoughts and ideas that emerge during those quiet hours.

  1. Do you have a favorite word and could you incorporate it into a poetic phrase?

I love the word void. Here are few lines from one of my poems;

Somewhere, somehow, I get lost
Dissolved into the void
I am the void
Yet in that, I am blessed

  1. What is your pet peeve?

I really can’t withstand the abuse of authority. I swiftly respond as I encounter it.

  1. How would you describe the essence of Bhakta Bahadur Basnet?

I regret to say that I find it difficult to describe my own essence. I work hard to understand myself, often reflecting on questions like who I am, why I exist, and whether my existence truly matters. However, I would rather describe myself as someone different—indifferent to the world, yet drawn to harnessing the darkness within the void.

I am a mess
I feel like litter
I am a star
Without glitter

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Lindsay Soberano Wilson
Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Bhakta Bahadur Basnet (see all)
This publication is part 421 of 421 in the series Spotlight On Writers