Spotlight On Writers - Nelly Shulman, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Nelly Shulman

Spotlight On Writers

Nelly Shulman

 

  1. Where do you originate from?

I was born in Russia, in Saint Petersburg, which is one of the most beautiful cities ever built. However, ever since my youth, I have been moving a lot. I guess I am what one calls a nomad. Most recently, I have been living in Berlin and contemplating the next move. Despite being in motion and acquiring various languages along the way, I am still quintessentially a native of Saint Petersburg.

  1. What do you cherish most about the place you call home?

There can never be any other home except Saint Petersburg. First and foremost, the sublime beauty of my city is a source of constant joy. The harmony of the architecture and nature is truly unique. Secondly, Saint Petersburg has created a unique culture that is cherished and protected, and I miss it a lot. The best time in the city is the long northern summer with white nights, yachting on the sea, the sandy beaches and the pines, and the whole array of forest berries!

  1. What ignites your creativity?

Silence and solitude. I like people and communication but only for a while. My creativity stems from being alone—either in the city, enjoying its anonymity, or in nature. I enjoy observing people and things and I am generally very quiet. I believe the writer needs both to be immersed in life and distanced from it because only through exercising the latter can we reach objectivity. More than anything else, I am motivated to write by this messy and beautiful experience we call life.

  1. Do you have a favorite word and could you incorporate it into a poetic phrase?

Serendipity, which is such a beautiful concept. I find this word so fascinating because it speaks about finding something unexpected and pleasant, which is a rare occasion. Unfortunately, more often than not we are met with negative things, so it’s nice even merely to use this word.
I am not a poet, but I’ll try.

Waiting for the sun to rise, hoping for the serendipity of life.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

It’s a funny one. All square and rectangular objects have to stand or lie straight. This is generally connected with my love for everything being in order. I don’t have a desk as such because I write in whichever place is convenient at the moment, but when I do sit at a desk, I immediately straighten everything that needs to be straightened.

  1. How would you describe the essence of Nelly Shulman?

I am a quiet and observant person who absorbs everything around me and transforms it into the art of words. I enjoy both nature and art and believe in the endless possibilities that are unraveled during the course of our life. I have had and will have many highs and lows, but whatever the situation, there is always a solution to it.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – LJ JacobsSpotlight On Writers – Dominic Rivron >>
Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Nelly Shulman (see all)
This publication is part 408 of 413 in the series Spotlight On Writers