August Surprise, poetry by G. Lynn Brown at Spillwords.com
DALL-E

August Surprise

August Surprise

written by: G. Lynn Brown

@GLBrown_Writer

 

Neither expected what was to come when they walked out into the hot August sun.
It began as a day like any other, he stopped for a coffee, she for a pastry.
In a tiny convenience store, without notice they passed, she picked out a donut, he poured a carafe.
With steaming cup in hand, he stood in line, when he heard a sneeze come from behind.
He turned to find the source of the sound was the most beautiful girl he’d ever found.
Her hair was chestnut, her eyes were green, she smelled as sweet as her chocolate-glazed treat.
Then her eyes met his, so bright and blue, and she could tell what he was thinking, ’cause she thought it, too.
Sir, hey, Sir, cried the clerk for his attention, and reluctantly he slowly changed his direction.
He paid for his, and paid it forward, flashed her a smile, then out the door.
She stepped to the counter, wallet ready, the clerk told her the man paid for it already.
He watched from outside where he patiently waited, butterflies inside, his breath baited.
Her surprise to his deed alit her face, in a pageant of smiles, she’d take first place.
She returned her wallet to her purse, and from the line she dispersed.
As she exited from the store, she recognized a girlfriend come through the door.
They stopped to talk, but he couldn’t wait, he had an appointment and couldn’t be late.
While with her friend she talked, she spied him as across the lot he walked.
For her he must’ve waited, she never felt so exhilarated.
She said her goodbyes, and out the door gave chase, but she was just a moment too late.
She let out a whimper as he drove away, leaving her with nothing but a donut and dismay.
Neither expected love to come, when that morning they stepped into the hot August sun.
But they each had a plan that just couldn’t fail, they met here once, and here they’d surely meet again.
Maybe not tomorrow, nor next week, but one day soon, was a another sunny day to look forward to.

Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by G. Lynn Brown (see all)