Interview Q&A with Ernie Stricsek, a writer at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Ernie Stricsek

Interview Q&A with Ernie Stricsek

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Ernie Stricsek, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of September 2024.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

I was surprised, then so happy I was to be chosen as author of the month for September. There are so many excellent writers who contribute to Spillwords each day, it was an honor even to be considered among the finalists. This is one of my best moments as a creative writer.

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

My family and friends have influenced my writing by telling interesting stories of their lives and experiences.

  1. What inspires and motivates you to write?

There are so many things. Photos and paintings, images from nature such as gnarled trees and reflections in a pond, rutted dirt roads and stone walls, stories I have read, and the stories people have to tell.

  1. Can you tell us about the catalyst that sparked your writing journey?

I’ve always enjoyed writing, but for most of my adult life, most of what I wrote were work related technical reports. After I retired in 2019 and we moved to Cape Cod, my wife spotted a posting for a creative writing group that met weekly in the Chatham library. I joined the group and enjoyed it so much; I joined second creative writing group, a novel writing group and a memoir writing group.

  1. Please share a glimpse into your writing process.

Everything is a potential story. A word, a thought, an image. All these things have stories to tell. Sometimes a story pops into my head instantly, sometimes it takes a few days to develop.

  1. What do you find most fulfilling about the act of writing?

I love history and much of what I write is historical fiction. I try to weave a story around an actual event, using both historical personalities and fictional characters, using dialogue to keep the story moving forward. I am pleased when someone tells me that my stories make history interesting.

  1. How does the use of imagery contribute to conveying your story?

Imagery helps to set the various scenes that appear in a story. It helps readers to experience the same things your characters do – sights, sounds and even smells.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

My favorite is history, followed by historical fiction. However, over the past few years my reading has expanded to include contemporary fiction. And I love anything written by Stephen King!

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

The historian and journalist Bruce Catton. His series of books about the American Civil War were written in such a way that they almost read as historical novels.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

Thank you everyone who voted for me. I was surprised to be selected, given all the talented poets and prose writers who were nominated as well. Keep writing so I can continue to enjoy your work.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

That my family and friends find my stories to be interesting, entertaining, thoughtful and memorable.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?

I am honored to be a member of the Spillwords Press family of writers. I will continue to contribute stories and enjoy reading the poems and prose of the other members of the family. I have encouraged the members of the writing groups I belong to, to visit and explore the Spillwords site and submit their stories. Thank you for the honor of being voted author of the month.

Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Ernie Stricsek (see all)