Of Love and A Christmas Tree, fiction by G. Lynn Brown at Spillwords.com
Titovailona

Of Love and A Christmas Tree

Of Love and A Christmas Tree

written by: G. Lynn Brown

@GLBrown_Writer

 

It was just an artificial tree. Four feet of grayish-green plastic needles meant to replicate a Balsam Pine, dotted with bright red holly berries placed just so around perfectly shaped pinecones, and flocked with faux snow. But not too much flocking that it looked spray painted on, and not so little that it appeared unfinished, but just enough, done well enough, to bring him to mind.

She shook her head and laughed.

Bring him to mind?

Why would this particular tree, amid the other fifteen on store display, bring him to mind? Why would any Christmas tree remind her of him?

They never shared a Christmas together. She didn’t even know his favorite holiday song or which version of “A Christmas Carol” he preferred. She didn’t know much about him at all, except she wanted to know him better.

She stood in front of the faux pine and touched it’s needles, felt the texture of its glittery flocking. Still, there was something about it she found so sweet, so charming and, despite being covered in snow, so warm. The longer she looked at it, the more it felt like home.

She admired it a few moments longer, hoping to realize what it was about it that reminded her of him, but, try as she might, she just couldn’t make the connection. All she knew was that she simply fell in love with it at first sight.

Latest posts by G. Lynn Brown (see all)