Spotlight On Writers - Jenny Middleton, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Jenny Middleton

Spotlight On Writers

Jenny Middleton

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I’ve lived in London my entire life. I grew up living at home with both my parents, brother, grandparents and a whole array of pets, so the household was fairly lively, there was always lots of debates and banter going on.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

It’s easy to get in to central London from where we live where there are so many diverse, creative distractions and green spaces. We also live near to my children’s schools and to my parents.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

I write lots about the effects living in a city has on relationships, memories and emotions.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

I have lots of favourite words that I have to be careful not to overuse – or even use at all. I like words that sound like their meanings. I like the word linger as it sounds just like its meaning and can be used to convey either sadness or happiness. I’ve used it in the poem fragments here to show what I mean.

Fragment 1

a shadowy miasma of mistrust,
lingers in each word
shifting through each syllable

Fragment 2

music, half sung words and dance lingers,
spicing the flurry of carnival air,
pulling us from ourselves

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Disingenuous people are a pet peeve of mine. Unfortunately, there are too many people, who say one thing but act in a completely different way.

  1. What defines Jenny Middleton?

When I’m writing I try to reveal something real about the world from my perspective. I’m fairly self-critical and I’m always open to new ideas about how to extend and improve my writing.

Latest posts by Jenny Middleton (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Thaddeus HutyraSpotlight On Writers – Annalyn Neo Celeste >>
This publication is part 212 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers