Music of a Generation Past, by Joseph Coniglio at Spillwords.com
Blocks

Music of a Generation Past

Music of a Generation Past

written by: Joseph F Coniglio

 

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s. It was a time of change, of revolution and a lot of unrest. Movie restrictions were lifted and liberalized, television shows focused on a very different kind of family and action-adventure series became more bold. Comedy changed too as more groups of people became fair game. Everybody was ridiculed and made fun of. Music, with the release of the Sgt. Pepper album changed and many groups couldn’t make that change. Good groups, just not quite up to it. Others came along right after that and managed to carve out some great music. Here are just a few.

Music of a Generation Past, an article by Joseph F Coniglio at Spillwords.com
Gerry and the Pacemakers

GERRY and the PACEMAKERS
Originally this group was part of the British invasion. Formed in 1956 by Gerry Marsden, they were rivals of the Beatles in Liverpool, where they came from. With early hits like “I Like It,” “How Do You Do What You Do To Me,” and what became their signature song, “Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying,” they charted seven number one singles. But by 1965 their popularity declined quickly and they disbanded. Gerry Marsden actually had a second career as a cabaret entertainer and on children’s tv, all in Britain. Part of their claim to fame was “Ferry Cross the Mersey,” a song and a movie of the same name. It was kind of a cheeky take-off on the Beatles’ first movie. In fact, I think both of the people who saw it agreed it was pretty bad as far as acting and the story. But the group itself did enjoy a nice, albeit short career.

THE LOVIN’ SPOONFUL
On this side of the Atlantic we had quite a few entries, most influenced by the British bands who were having enormous success here. The Lovin’ Spoonful was one such group. Formed in Greenwich Village this was one of the most popular groups for a short period in the mid 1960’s. Recording such hits as “Daydream,” “Do You Believe in Magic,” and their number one single, “Summer in the City,” they charted seven consecutive songs in the top ten. John Sebastian was the leader, singer and songwriter as rock moved toward the psychedelic era, which ultimately cut into their record sales. But from 1966 to 1968, this band was huge and was the third best selling act in music. They disbanded in 1968 but John Sebastian went on to a solo career and later recorded the theme for “Welcome Back Kotter,” if you can remember that tv series.

Music of a Generation Past, an article by Joseph F Coniglio at Spillwords.com
Paul Revere and the Raiders

PAUL REVERE and the RAIDERS
This was one of the first of what I would call the costume bands. I say that because this group originally performed in American colonial costumes. Formed in 1958 as the Downbeats by Paul Revere and singer Mark Lindsay, the two met interestingly enough when Revere, who owned several restaurants, was picking up buns in a bakery where Mark Lindsay worked. One of their first recordings was a cover of “Louie, Louie.” That gave them a foot into the rock and roll door. The band was a favorite of Dick Clark’s television shows and they later scored with hits like “Kicks,” “Just like Me,” and “Hungry.” Through the end of the decade they stayed kind of popular and in 1971, they released another single, “Indian Reservation,” which brought them back, but very briefly.

The (YOUNG) RASCALS
Another costume group, they originally appeared in clothing reminiscent of The Little Rascals. Really, they were one of the best bands of their time. Coming out of New Jersey the group was formed by Felix Cavaliere, who was trained in classical piano. He was appearing with Joey Dee and the Starlighters (remember The Peppermint Twist?). Together with Eddie Brigati and his brother David they added Gene Cornish, a guitarist and Dino Danelli on drums and they took off. The name “Rascals,” (originally the Young Rascals) came with the help of Soupy Sales. Scoring one hit after another with songs like “Good Lovin ” and “Groovin” this band’s music was played at every teenage dance I ever went to. They were huge, and deservedly so. They were a very good group and their music still sounds good today. With other songs like “A Girl Like You,” and “It’s a Beautiful Morning,” they crossed over into the blue-eyed soul genre. By 1967 though their popularity had declined, and after a few members left, they officially disbanded in 1970.

So there you have it. But this is by no means a complete story. I should give propers to so many other groups, good groups to whom I probably owe an apology for leaving them out. Groups like the Dave Clark Five, the Seekers, the Searchers, McCoys, Hollies and don’t forget Gary Lewis and the Playboys. On and on, so many. Musically this was a great time to grow up. Maybe we’ll hit this topic again.

Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by JC Home (see all)