Rippling Shivers, a short story written by Rayna More at Spillwords.com
Jordan Heath

Rippling Shivers

Rippling Shivers

written by: Rayna More

 

It was cold. So cold.
It felt as though an icy mist was creeping from the soggy grass’s surface, up my broken palms, through my veins, solidifying my skull, caging my mind. I couldn’t think clearly.
The tears streaming down my face matched the rainfall of the night, as I hunched, gripping the moist grass between my fingers.
My vision was blurry, the stars looked like diamonds. Everything was swirling.
It was so goddamn cold.
I slowly began to drag myself forward, my body and mind felt just as crippled as the other.
I felt trapped, overwhelmed by the blackened sky bearing down on me and the bleak dampness below me. My head was pounding, every movement of dragging my body forward made me want to throw up.
Dirt covered my body, I could feel it in my eyes, in my mouth, but with how hard my waves of shivers were I couldn’t stop dragging myself forward for I feared I’d never make it to the river’s edge I was headed for.
Nobody was going to find me here. I knew that from the start. I’d just never thought that things would end so badly.
I went to pull myself forward yet again, only this time my hand plunged straight into the water. I’d reached the river, and even with all the pain I was in, I felt a sense of relief. My body was numb, I couldn’t feel just how cold the water was. My vision was blurry, I couldn’t see just how deep it was either.
I pulled myself to the very edge, and went to reach for the bottom of the river. Only, it wasn’t there.
I plunged straight down into the dirty, icy river. The shock had caused me to try to scream but all that filled my throat was water. My body was so broken that I couldn’t swim, I couldn’t grab anything, I could only sink… and sink… and sink…
I watched as the swirling stars above me blurred more, and all light began to disappear, it grew beautifully silent.
Soon, everything was gone, including me.

Latest posts by Rayna More (see all)