Spotlight On Writers - Jane Davidson, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Jane Davidson

Spotlight On Writers

Jane Davidson

@Poetrycafe53

 

  1. Where do you originate from?

I started my journey from a quiet UK Hampshire village called ‘Wickham’ which is overlooked by the picturesque church of St Nicolas, built on an ancient hallowed mound with a winding path to its door.

It was an idyllic place for a child to live, surrounded by nature and quirky old buildings which sparked a child’s imagination.
However, in 1963 I moved to the nearby City of Portsmouth which was a completely different environment. I was shocked, the first time I saw the bomb-sites and bomb-damaged buildings, but they made great playgrounds.

  1. What do you cherish most about the place you call home?

I cherish the wonderful libraries we have in Portsmouth; they are so important to the community. From a very young age I would escape into libraries and spend hours learning about the world. I think reading and libraries play a significant role in improving our mental health, sadly they are often undervalued. I sincerely hope we never lose them.

If you visit Portsmouth: close to the dockyard gates, overlooking the harbour is a statue, it comemorates the generations of children who ‘Mudlarked’ in area, you will find my name on it, overlooking the sea.

  1. What ignites your creativity?

My creativity is sparked by anything that makes me think, such as, how architecture and different environments affect us, and also, of course, being around nature is always inspiring.

  1. Do you have a favorite word and could you incorporate it into a poetic phrase?

Shadows

shadows dance across the cottage wall
they remind her of her wedding day—
she reaches out and her fingers dip into an ocean,
the mind plays tricks, she reasons with herself.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

My pet peeve is people who try to impose their views and ideas on others. Everyone is entitled to their own view; it doesn’t make it the truth.

  1. How would you describe the essence of Jane Davidson?

I love being in the countryside, nature energises me and makes me appreciate the important things in life. But, I also, love living in the city and could never contemplate living anywhere not within walking distance of the sea.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Michael L. Utley
Latest posts by Jane Davidson (see all)
This publication is part 404 of 404 in the series Spotlight On Writers