I Wonder, prose by James Howard at Spillwords.com
Sean Robertson

I Wonder

I Wonder

written by: James Howard

 

I wonder

I wonder if the brave sentinel of law and order, just before heading off to work for the last time on that Wednesday morning, told his family it’s gonna be a busy day, but it shouldn’t be too bad. These people back the blue.

I wonder if he heard his favorite song when the angels came to take him away.

I wonder if light will always shine on his spirit.

I wonder if that flag draped over the coffin will mean something to someone.

I wonder if the family’s tears will ever dry.

I wonder

I wonder, did the young Air Force veteran lying in a hospital bed bleeding from a bullet wound in her neck think; the bread crumbs lied, I’m so lonely.

I wonder if she heard her favorite song when the angels came to take her away.

I wonder if light will always shine on her spirit.

I wonder if that flag draped over the coffin will mean something to someone.

I wonder if the family’s tears will ever dry.

I wonder

I wonder why preachers of righteousness rejoice in death while affirming their goodness from paper pulpits.

I wonder if they hear bones rattling in the closets.

I wonder

I wonder when Clio the muse closed her eyes.

I wonder, I wonder what’s next?

Latest posts by James Howard (see all)