New Beginnings, a short story by Lisa Rivers Kiesling at Spillwords.com
Mark Pan4ratte

New Beginnings

New Beginnings

written by: Lisa Rivers Kiesling

 

Rebekka’s screams were silent against the sound of the carnival. Don’t panic, she said, trying to focus. He was damp and clumsy and she was overcome by the stink of his armpits. His makeup and wig were all wrong. Had she laughed out loud? It all happened so quickly. Before she knew it, she was in the back of his car.
As they drove off Rebekka began crying and the clown flipped the radio on. She heard his voice as he began to sing, he has a lisp! Great, a lisp and stinky pits, just great.
Edward shook with excitement. He had never felt this way before. And he liked it. He couldn’t wait to get home.
Sheriff O’Neal arrived on the scene to a group of frightened and crying children trying to explain what had just happened. He immediately noticed Ryan, the only child who wasn’t crying. “Hey buddy, what happened here tonight?’ Ryan answered back with an attitude, “Rebekka got snatched up by some stupid-looking lawn guy. He threw her in his car and then took off.”

“Can you describe the car?”

“Yep. It was my cousin Eddy. Momma says he was born differently. His brain never really grew up.”

Sheriff O’Neil got Ryan’s mother on the phone and after a brief conversation, he put an APB out on Edward Richardson, age 22, driving a white Chevy station wagon, wearing a clown wig and face paint.

Edward pulled into the yard of his Mama’s house, glad to be home. He jumped out of the car and snuck up to the window and peeked in. He seemed to be pleased as he came back towards the car and Rebekka’s heart sank. She was certain he was going to hurt her, but he just walked by, whistling and laughing. Although it was dark, Rebekka could see that the car doors were unlocked and the keys were in the ignition. She knew that she had very little time to act. Hopeful, she started to climb over the seat when she heard the clown coming back. His wig was off, and his face was clean and Rebekka shouted “Eddy! Are you crazy? What have you done? You are in such big trouble now!”

“Why am I in trouble?” he asked, “You’re the bully! Not me! I can’t help that I am different. Just wait, when Momma wakes up you’re gonna get it!”

Just then the floodlights came on and Edward’s mother was running towards them, screaming something about a call from the sheriff, a kidnapping, and prison time if she didn’t kill Edward first.

The Sheriff arrived next with the sirens and lights on followed by his 5 deputies and there was so much commotion and noise that Rebekka closed her eyes tight and covered her ears. A policeman came up to her and grabbed her and took her to the paramedics. She could see poor Edward in the back of the sheriff’s car. She turned to the paramedic and pleaded, “Excuse me, may I please use the bathroom? I don’t think I can hold it any longer.” When he didn’t answer she made her move. Passing the sheriff’s car she looked over her shoulder to make sure no one was watching. Then, just like in the movies, she ducked behind the car and crawled on the ground until she reached the driver’s side back door. She slowly and quietly opened the door while whispering to Edward to be quiet and get out. “Don’t let anyone see you Edward, I’m serious.” Rebekka insisted, “Now run into the woods, run as far and as fast as you can. Find somewhere to hide. If you don’t they are going to put you in jail. Go, Edward… Go now!”

Edward took off running as fast as he could and never looked back. Ever!

Ten years had passed since that awful day and Rebekka had insisted that her family and friends never spoke a word about it. Nobody had. Edward had gotten away. He was never found and Sheriff O’Neil had has been fired. Rebekka had felt guilty about it until she thought of what they would have done to Edward. She would do it all over again, with Regrets.

Rebekka looked at her watch when the bus finally arrived 10 minutes late, not too bad she thought. Public transportation was new to her. She had sold her car to finance the move. Her new job was only blocks from the apartment she rented and nobody drives in New York anyway. She was anxious to get out of this small town and into the anonymity of the big city. Here at home, everyone knew her and what had happened. She could never escape it. She was doing what was best.

Finally, the loudspeaker announced her bus. She waited until everyone had gotten off, those who were staying and those trying to get a quick smoke in. She chose an empty seat in the rear of the bus and settled in, grateful she had listened to her mother and brought a light blanket and pillow.

The driver began to speak. “Ladies and gentlemen you’re aboard bus 1-4-9 to NY.” And with that Rebekah froze. She knew that voice! That lisp! It was Edward. She looked up and there he was standing at the front of the bus. He had survived the woods. He had done more than survive, he had made a life for himself. He too just needed to get away from the limitations of the small town. A fresh start amongst strangers.
How ironic Rebekka whispered to herself as she slid down in her seat and settled in for the long ride. And before closing her eyes she glanced back at Edward and she could have sworn he was smiling at her.

And as she drifted off to sleep she heard a comforting voice say, “Sweet dreams, my friend, sweet dreams.”

Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Lisa Rivers Kiesling (see all)