Reflection, flash fiction by Skylar Sturtevant at Spillwords.com
Ralph Nas

Reflection

Reflection

written by: Skylar Sturtevant

 

In the desolate wasteland of Var’noth, strange monoliths and obelisks pierced the sky. The blood-red moon’s light conjured a rift in the blackness of night. Ancient symbols were carved on the stone obelisks by forgotten tools and lost hands. Pillars of metal engulfed barren drought-ridden land in stark reminder of the ancient world that once was.
Bodies of green water swallowed the areas west and east of Var’noth. Unfathomable beasts lived underneath, never converging with the creatures of the land. It is said that only the eyeless deep ones survive and none dared explore those mysterious pools of slimy liquid.
Massive pyramids of stone, clay, and other materials filled the land. The black trees were asymmetrical and bent disproportionately. Acid rain covered Var’noth in the weekly storm, annihilating anything unfortunately caught in its path. Winged beasts found shelter lest they match the fallen.
In the vast and ancient desert, riding on abyssal black wings, the one known as Keeper approached the young simian’s cave of concrete. He was the keeper of knowledge for he was the oldest and most ancient among his people.
“Tell me demon,” he said, “of the ones who built this world. We must have merely inhabited it. Who could have survived in such a harsh place for so long?”
Keeper sighed then took a deep breath.
“Vast oceans, birds that ruled the sky, metal horses, and violent, conquering apes. These apes were unlike your brothers. These apes were hairless and destroyed as much as they created, until the last fateful day. With this, they drowned the world in ash and fire, leaving nothing in their wake. They left nothing behind for their successors except for the stone obelisks, pyramids, and monoliths. These were purely monuments of their own destruction.”
“What was this land called before Var’noth? Surely, it must have been magnificent before the fall.”
“Alas, I do not know. This was far before my time, even as ancient as I am” replied the demon.
The simian pondered for a long moment.
“They destroyed, yet named you demon?”
“My friend, they were simple creatures of habit. Perhaps they didn’t even know what they were doing. Are you ready to learn for yourself?”
He had a hard time believing the creature’s words, but left it at that. He knew it was not in his power to change his ancestors. The simian and the demon nodded in silent agreement. With beating wings, the demon motioned for him to follow and he obliged. Now began their long journey of discovery.
Monuments of the ancient world were shadows of their former glory. On the side of the mountains, ancient symbols were carved. The symbol resembled an apple, known today by a different name, with a bite taken out of it in a clear glass rectangle. The demon and his companion made their voyage through the valley of steel and fire with a new found purpose. Their quest was to uncover the origin of a newly discovered word; Earth.

Latest posts by Skylar Sturtevant (see all)