Spotlight On Writers - Jeff Flaig, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Jeff Flaig

Spotlight On Writers

Jeff Flaig

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I live in the great Northwest, in the city of Portland, Oregon. With exception of living ten years in Alaska, my second home, I’ve lived here for the rest of my sixty-six years. I’d move back if it weren’t for my kids, although I love all the greenery. Being an old-timer, I don’t do as much as I used to, but I love nothing better than going for walks in the different parts of the city. You gotta love green if you live here.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

It has everything from coast to dessert. Oregon is probably one of the most scenic places in America, and I look forward to every distinct season, although it had changed a lot over the last ten years, and I don’t consider it as friendly a place as it used to be. Downtown Portland used to be a great place to hang out, but not so much anymore. Again, if it weren’t for my kids, I’d probably move back to Alaska.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Life turns me on creatively, things I see around me, things that happen to me in my present and my past. I never really write about them, but they always put me in a mindset to write. I’ve often had people console me when I write. I find that funny and wonder why they would think that of me. Oh well. Next, music will set me off in a writing frenzy. I love to listen to background music when I‘m writing. It helps set the mood.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Life is my favorite word. Jesus mourned for mankind when he gave His life.

I choose life because I understood what it meant when Christ died so that we might live.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Forced rhyme. I love to read good poetry, but when I come across a line that contains forced rhyme, I fall flat on my face, and I can’t read any further. I think that if you’re having a problem with your rhyme, turn the work in to free verse, or set it aside and pick it up at another time. One thing about writing anything, unless you’re being paid, there is no statute of limitations. Of course I understand, I’m probably guilty of the very thing I hate. Isn’t that the way it goes?

  1. What defines Jeff Flaig?

This is my favorite thing to comment on. Jesus Christ is what defines me. I try everyday to be like Him. Unfortunately, unless you know Christ, that might seem like a strange thing, but after 45 years of following Him, I wouldn’t have it any other way. My first book, Practically Heaven, was written based on my beliefs in Him, and where I plan to spend my eternity.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Tay SummerlinSpotlight On Writers – Nina Taylor >>
Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Jeff Flaig (see all)
This publication is part 260 of 417 in the series Spotlight On Writers