Spotlight On Writers - Michael McCarthy, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Michael McCarthy

Spotlight On Writers

Michael McCarthy

@FlateyeFiction

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I was born in London a city I still miss, especially the financial district, The City of London. I worked there for many years and still miss walking through it and soaking up the history and unique atmosphere as well as visiting the many pubs, some dating back hundreds of years including Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, a haunt of Charles Dickens.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The place I now call home is a town called Frankenthal in s.w. Germany where I have lived with my German born wife for over thirty years, and our UK born son lives nearby.
Frankenthal with its 50,000 plus inhabitants still has a small town, traditional atmosphere and most important of all a packed cultural calendar most of which takes place on Market Square in front of the Town Hall.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

I love the process of thinking of something to write about; it usually starts to take shape on one of my regular walks through one of the local fields or parks or even the graveyard; finding it, sometimes after many false starts, putting a story together and then the editing and rewriting done to a background of pop music.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

I don’t have a favourite word as regards writing, but in order to cut down on my swearing I began to use the word crumbs instead, so it’s now become a frequently used part of my vocabulary.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

My pet peeve is people who endlessly complain, and it’s always the same ones and about things I know they have no need to complain about. I’m generally polite and patient so I usually listen to them but then try to avoid them! I shouldn’t be so polite, maybe that’s my real peeve, my own politeness!

  1. What defines Michael McCarthy?

What defines me is, I think, my interest in my adoptive home town. I taught at the local Adult Education Institute and when my son was small I supervised football training at his primary school as well as helping the pupils with their English, and taking part in and organizing several cultural and theatrical evenings.

Latest posts by Michael McCarthy (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Nancy RichySpotlight On Writers – Jackie Harvey >>
This publication is part 314 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers