Spotlight On Writers
- Where, do you hail from?
I’m from a suburb of NYC called Long Island. I now live in South Wales.
- What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?
South Wales is a really special place. There’s nowhere else on Earth like it. It mixes the modern and ancient, not always elegantly, but it creates this feeling like you’re part of a ritual that has gone on for centuries and will continue to do so even after you’re long gone.
- What turns you on creatively?
I really love folklore, mythology, and spiritualism. I think that comes through in my writing. I’m constantly learning new iterations of stories. I also draw a lot of inspiration from Long Island of all places. Nothing is as it looks on the surface, it made growing up there seem like some kind of fever dream.
- What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?
Just one?! No fair. If I had to pick, it would be talisman (for now at least, this answer changes almost daily). As in
‘the heavy talisman of heritage’
- What is your pet peeve?
People thinking they can change other’s minds by shouting and being generally unpleasant. I think we all know what I mean.
Oh and people who assume you need to be a dog or cat person. Why can’t someone be both? They’re all great.
- What defines Amanda Needham?
If you talk to me for more than a few minutes, I’m going to bring up ghosts. I think the longest I went was twenty minutes.
Latest posts by Amanda Needham (see all)
- Spotlight On Writers – Amanda Needham - December 15, 2018
- Syosset, NY. October 17, 2002 - October 19, 2018
- Mountain Tales - November 11, 2017