Spotlight On Writers - Linda Dobinson, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Linda Dobinson

Spotlight On Writers

Linda Dobinson

@LindaDobinson27

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I was born in Croydon, but from ages 3 – 17 I lived in Barbados. It was a great place to grow up – lots of sun and sea, and, at night, a zillion stars in the sky. I now live in Basingstoke, a growing town in north Hampshire where, sadly, the night sky is not quite so starry.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The author, Jane Austen. Her house in Chawton is only a few miles away, and Basingstoke is where she used to shop. And, of course, she attended the Assembly rooms for dances. In 2017 a statue of her was placed in Market Square (outside the Willis Museum). It was a big occasion, making the news, and Basingstoke’s MP Maria Miller attended.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Nature. I love wet, wild windy days (when I don’t have to go out), the birds visiting my garden, frosty mornings (when I don’t have to go out). Misty mornings are also wonderful, the world feels ethereal, and I DO like going out in them. I love the night (with or without stars) – something about it seems to touch my soul. Thunderstorms – the thunder can crash as hard as it likes as far as I am concerned. And lightning is magical. We don’t get enough thunderstorms in my corner of Hampshire. Cats fascinate me – I can watch them all day. My neighbour’s cat considers my garden hers.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

I don’t have a specific favourite word. I just love playing with words. I often flick through my Chambers Dictionary looking at new words … whats that? What, not everyone does that? Really? That’s sad!

  1. What is your pet peeve?

This is a tricky one – I have SO many – no, not really 🙂 A new one that is the result of the pandemic – people who don’t wear face masks when in public places as I am sure it would make a difference.

  1. What defines Linda Dobinson?

Another tricky one. What defines a person? Is it what they do? What they believe? What they like? I guess it is all three. I hope I am defined by my writing which embodies my love of words and nature, and my belief that when things aren’t great losing yourself in a story is a good way to escape, even if it is just for a little while.

Latest posts by Linda Dobinson (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Norberto Franco CisnerosSpotlight On Writers – Wayne Jermin >>
This publication is part 274 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers