Disappointment, an essay by Tina Cathleen MacNaughton at Spillwords.com
Hanna Postova

Disappointment

Disappointment

written by: Tina Cathleen MacNaughton

 

Disappointment is a curious feeling. It’s low and dull and aching. It drags on. It hurts but not in a sharp, surprised way. It’s more of a wounded sorrow that you are here again. At that place of no result, no win, no give. The place that lacks, the gift that is not enough, the corner that is dusty and cold.

It’s that feeling of hollow emptiness, an almost resignation that this is all there is. All you will ever be given from that person or situation. And when it keeps happening, it slowly erodes until you feel insufficient and unworthy. You thought you deserved more, yet it was not delivered. Do you really deserve it? Are you as special as you thought you were? Or do you expect too much?

You become disturbed by someone else’s perception of you and how much they can give to you. You become angered by their meanness and lack of generosity. You begin to ask yourself if you should even have to ask …

Disappointment can feel confusing and cause you to doubt yourself. You start to overthink it. But before you do this … go back to that initial gut feeling. Go back to that hollow ache, that wrung out feeling of despair that whispers this is not enough.

Perhaps you are making do with less than you deserve. Maybe you are being short-changed, held back, kept in check, kept at a distance. Return to that gut feeling and hold the feeling for a little longer. It’s telling you all you need to know about someone.

Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Tina Cathleen MacNaughton (see all)