Interview Q&A with Ingrid, a writer at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Ingrid Wilson

Interview Q&A with Ingrid Wilson

@Experimentsinfc

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Ingrid, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of January/February 2021.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

It is a great honour. I appreciate the support of everyone who took the time to vote, and the kind words of everyone who showed their support.

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

Both my friends and family have had an invaluable influence on my writing, in all kinds of ways: from supporting me on my writing journey, to providing the love and experiences which inspire my writing. I would not have been able to do any of it without them.

  1. What inspires you to write?

It is simply a burning desire, I think: it’s the way I respond to the world, both the world around me and my internal world. I see so much beauty in all of it, and I want to capture that, but I also see darkness and want to shine a light on it.

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

I’ve always wanted to write, and have written intermittently since I was a child. When I was a teenager I used to write diaries, songs and poems. As I got older I kept journals during times in my life which had an emotional impact (the birth of my children, for example.) When my second son was born, this was really a catalyst: I wrote my first novel whilst he was an infant. I just felt this was it: I am a mother but I am also me. I need to show my children the importance of following a dream. I still have a lot of work to do on that novel, before it is ready for publication, but all of the groundwork has been done. The pandemic spurred me on to write more poetry, develop my website and build an audience.

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process?

I enjoy writing poetry, as this is a very natural form of writing for me. I can do it any time I feel at peace, calm and inspired. But I also treat writing as an occupation, and when I’m not feeling inspired, I research factual pieces and write non-fiction. I enjoy all of these different types of writing.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

The feeling that I am living authentically: it is a joy to create something, a pure joy. That’s what life should be about.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

Of course, imagery has an important role, though I wouldn’t say it is my strong point. It never was. I am more of a lyrical than an imagist poet. And I know that isn’t fashionable but that doesn’t worry me. I write what’s in my heart.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

I hate the term ‘literary fiction’ but I suppose I have to use it, because I can read any genre so long as it’s well written and it moves me in some way. There are so many great works of literature out there that I would never waste time on a book I found to be poorly written. I enjoy the classics too, not only for their stories and strong voices, but for the window they provide into a past time.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

I will have to pick two, my two children. Becoming a mother, feeling that unconditional love, watching them grow and learning from them, has had an overwhelming influence in my life, sparked my creativity and given me direction. It’s a myth that having children means you have to give up on your dreams. You have to focus on them even more, so that your children will know it is worthwhile.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

I am overwhelmed with gratitude for your kindness and support. I feel a personal connection to all of my readers: I don’t write in a vacuum, writing is a conversation and I invite you all to join in.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

That I helped people to fall in love with poetry again, and that in some small way I gave a voice to the voiceless.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you to Spillwords for your continued support of my work. I love this creative space, and the fact that you publish writing that perhaps doesn’t fit a particular genre, but speaks to the hearts of your readers. That is exactly where I want to be.

Latest posts by Ingrid Wilson (see all)