Interview Q&A with Tim Law, a writer at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Tim Law

Interview Q&A with Tim Law

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Tim Law, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of June 2021.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

I am both honoured and thrilled to have been selected as Spillwords Author of The Month. So many writers that I admire have received this accolade and it seems unreal that I too have shared this honour. I feel as though I am still quite new to this writing thing so to have been awarded such a title is a wonderful surprise.

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

Writers are always looking for the next inspiration. Things that happen to me or happen around me will always pop into my mind and remain hidden in that secret place, ready to reappear at the perfect time. Lately, though, my brother-in-law and his collection of wonderful board games has become a great catalyst for my writing. I love imagining the backstory of characters from games like Mansions of Madness and Terraforming Mars. The music from the Mansions of Madness app has spawned a few interesting short stories..

  1. What inspires you to write?

Inspiration is everywhere. A throwaway comment overheard, the image of a surfer tackling a wave I caught on a monitor while shopping with my family, a DVD cover from a movie I’ve never seen that was recently returned at the library where I work. A catch up with mates and a board game or two has been a great source of recent inspiration. One just never knows where the next story spark will appear.

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

My mum read to me and my brothers every night before bed. That planted the seed that stirred my imagination that led to my passion for writing and creating stories all those years later. I am most excited about discovering where a story will go. I see the opening scene and sometimes what I think is the ending but the middle is always a mystery. I write to discover that middle part of my stories, I write to share, it is the thrill of being the first to find out that spurs me on to write.

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process?

An idea pops into my head and then it stews. Sometimes I need to start writing straight away before the idea is gone forever. Sometimes an idea can bounce around in my subconscious for years before I feel ready to work on it. These last few years I have discovered writing prompts so the ideas are often given to me (along with a deadline) but the story still reveals itself through the writing process. It is both exciting and daunting in equal measures.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

What fulfills me most about writing is getting to the end and looking back on what I have created. Regardless of whether it is a story written for purpose or just on a whim, knowing I have created something new is exciting. Having platforms such as the Spillwords website makes it easier to share those new stories. It is indeed a wonderful time to be a writer.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

I have sometimes been told I am a very emotional writer. The use of imagery is something that I need to improve on. Other writers can be quite descriptive, writing about characters and locations that draw you in. The challenge of course is in not telling but instead showing. If I can manage that I would consider myself to be a great writer and not just a good one.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

I love fantasy and when I first started writing that is the genre I preferred. As I have ventured down the path of writing short stories in a variety of genres I have found my reading tastes have changed as well. Working for a local library it is important to be able to recommend books for all enquiries but I still find the greatest joy sinking my teeth into something far fetched and well imagined. My favourite authors still are those who delve into the realm of sword and sorcery. It probably stems from my love of games like Dungeons and Dragons.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

My wife of eighteen years is a true inspiration to me. She holds our life together and keeps life exciting for our three kids, four cats and rabbit. Equally my brother-in-law and sister-in-law have been an inspiration as they venture forth with an at home business. The time they have invested and the passion they have for their idea is to me so amazing. I need to find the same drive and passion for my stories and the opportunities that writing is offering me.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

A resounding thank you. I am not usually very good at self promotion so to have received so many hearts and so much support is truly overwhelming. It is exciting to discover there is so much interest in my writing now. Spillwords and other sites are helping writers create an international fan base. A thrilling time to write and share.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

To be able to leave each and every reader with an emotional response. I’d also like to be able to chat with a stranger at a barbeque and when I tell them something I’ve written to have them not respond with “never read it”. To be known as a writer people enjoy reading, that would be awesome.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?
I am so excited about being Spillwords’ Author of the Month. It is something to indeed be proud of. I am truly grateful to everyone who voted and so thankful for the nomination.
Latest posts by Tim Law (see all)