Spotlight On Writers - Verity Mason, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Verity Mason

Spotlight On Writers

Verity Mason

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
From the stars where unicorns reign and angels sing. I was born travelling from the UK to the States, Mexico, and fourteen countries in between. Blessed with the gusto to explore this world I’ve skidded through my life at a hundred miles an hour. That’s how I like to grab life, on my final day I’ll be hitting the clouds hard with a gasp of “Wow, that was a rush.”
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

It’s my space to be me. To lock the front door and immerse myself into my indulgences. What are they I hear you ask. My greatest pleasure in creative writing is the exploration of how unique and original I can be with my plots and character development.
There’s a laminate floor in my conservatory where I can dance the Tango in my gold shoes and paint seascapes in acrylics. A place to sit and meditate with Earl Grey tea on hand.
I’m comfortable being me. I don’t need someone to make me happy.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

A sudden thought or situation will come into my mind and in that moment I’ll write non stop and produce a very good first draft. Other times I struggle to even define a plot, when that hits me, I search through previous works to be finished with fresh eyes and new perspectives. I read recently that a writer can miss a hundred writing opportunities every day, I’m now practicing being vigilant to spot these moments. For example, my Locro submission was written and edited in a day, I was practicing the Tango and my soup maker arrived, that moment gelled hence a story was born.
Ninety Nine Bottoms is a change of pace and theme but I felt the need to try something new and with it, I hope a tad of humour in tasks many would say no to doing even once.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Kindness.

That’s why we’re here.
Look around you, who’s in need?
Smiles goes miles.
The Butterfly effect travels.
Plant your daily seeds of kindness.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Human beings who disrespect each other and our planet. I’m a very big fan of David Attenborough. His voice is still unheard by too many of us who stand by knowing our actions are seriously affecting wildlife, nature, and the environment. My message here is wake up before it’s too late. Dinner with David very much appeals and is on my list of thoughts become things.

  1. What defines Verity Mason?

My middle name is Verity which means innocence and truth, well chosen by my wonderful parents. I believe they proudly watch me from the heavens as I keep moving forward into the sometimes tough face of life’s challenges. I have a soft heart and love to help others as I journey through this life.
Mason is a fancy on my part, I love all of the James Mason black and white movies, the pseudonym rolls together nicely. For me, fantasy is a very important factor in daily life through my cathartic writing in point Reverend Rupert’s Obsession. He’s my favourite character that I hope to extend into a book and my wish for him to be in his own movie.
Thoughts become things, don’t they?

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Jay Mora-ShihadehSpotlight On Writers – Jim Latham >>
Latest posts by Verity Mason (see all)
This publication is part 294 of 400 in the series Spotlight On Writers