Spotlight On Writers - Sean O'Leary, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Sean O’Leary

Spotlight On Writers

Sean O’Leary

@SeanOl777

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I was born in Melbourne at Bethlehem Hospital but I have lived all over Australia from Norseman in WA to Kings Cross, Alice Springs, and even a short stint on Elcho Island/Galiwinku, an Aboriginal community in the Arafura Sea. Melbourne is home again now.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

Currently, my football team, The Melbourne Demons (the oldest professional sporting team in the world) are going to play in the Grand Final. The Dees haven’t won the premiership since 1964. And Melbourne is a city of Literature too, so as a writer it’s great that I am back living here. The weather is amazing too. Love it.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

My biggest inspiration for writing these days is films. Of course, I read a huge amount also but I have been getting into East Asian films a lot. Hong Kong director Wong Kar-Wai is amazing. Japanese films rock. I’ve seen Thai/Japanese collaborations that are brilliant also. I’m also going to audio books a lot more and TV series are at such a high level of quality these days too. I get so many ideas from all of these things.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Sluiced.

The cars sluiced by on the road outside as they sat in the cafe talking and rain drizzled down on the whole city.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

I don’t think I have one. Maybe people not wearing masks when they should and i find they seem to do it to get noticed, for attention if you like, like a small child.

  1. What defines Sean O’Leary?

Oh, I’m a writer. That’s the number one thing. Life would be unbearable for me without writing. How else could I make sense of the world? I also love walking, urban or beach, tracks and trails and so on.

Latest posts by Sean O'Leary (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Philomena DalySpotlight On Writers – Barbara Harris Leonhard >>
This publication is part 267 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers