Spotlight On Writers - Philomena Daly, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Philomena Daly

Spotlight On Writers

Philomena Daly

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
Ireland. I was born and raised in West Co Limerick. I’ve been fortunate to live in various parts of Ireland, Co Dublin and Co Cavan; most recently in Co Tyrone in Northern Ireland.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The fact I own the house. I chose this house myself; or, more truthfully, it chose me. I knew it was for sale and when I viewed it, ‘knew’ it was mine. It is in a beautiful small village, and fell into my hands most conveniently. I’m very grateful and thankful and feel so at home in it.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Words! The beauty of living in different places, is one hears different expressions and phrases; some amuse and others intrigue me and encourage me to seek out their origins. I’m fascinated by how something someone says can be interpreted so differently by the listener than what was intended by the speaker. Words are magical and can entertain, comfort, and amuse.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Drench is my all time favourite English word. I love the onomatopoeiac sound of it. One of my favourite lines of poetry is from ‘The Lost Heifer’ by Irish poet Austin Clarke: ‘Brightness was drenching through the branches when she wandered again’. I delight in the wonderful picture this creates in my mind.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Incorrect spelling, especially in sign writing on shop signs. Anytime I see accommodation I have to check if it has two Cs and two Ms.

Superfluous apostrophes is another major contender. I’ve seen beautiful shop fronts and sign writing ruined by such.

Stationery and stationary being incorrectly used comes top of the list though.

  1. What defines Philomena Daly?

Joy bubbles up within me while listening to people’s life stories, and love how a good sense of humour can serve to negate negative experiences. The resilience of others in dealing with life’s challenges buoys me up, as together we can help each other as we meet on life’s pathway.

Latest posts by Philomena Daly (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Clive GrewcockSpotlight On Writers – Sean O’Leary >>
This publication is part 266 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers