Interview Q&A with Cindy Georgakas at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Cindy Georgakas

Interview Q&A with Cindy Georgakas

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Cindy Georgakas, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of April 2023.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

It means the world to me to know that my work has been acknowledged by so many writers that I admire. I’m honored people took the time to vote for me, just in time for my book baby Re-Create & Celebrate: 7 Steps To Turn Your Dreams Into Reality coming out on May 20th. Thank you truly for believing in me and casting your vote.

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

My friends, family, clients, and colleagues are constant resources for inspiration. Their support and admiration of my work infuse me with energy that ignites my creative juices. Bearing witness to their strength facing a difficult situation or hearing a word or sentence from one of them that kindles a fire inside my belly, stimulates my creative juices.

  1. What inspires you to write?

My desire to let each person know that they are ok exactly how they are and to honor themselves for their beauty and their imperfections alike. Some of the people I wish I could help with my writing will never read my work so when it falls on ripe ears and people who can make use of my words it is deeply satisfying knowing I am being helpful to someone that is ready to take my words into their heart for healing and self-growth.

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

Covid was a silver lining for me as I learned to take my business to a new level of service. I had to use my creative energy to teach people to exercise and massage on Zoom and outside using balls, foam rollers, and other props for self-care. Life coaching sessions expanded because of the need to connect from so much isolation and my writing became instrumental both for myself and them to bridge the gap of separation. While I always sent a monthly newsletter, my writing expanded as a way to create inroads.

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process.

I start each morning in meditation and yoga or tai chi and then sit in silence and wait for the words to find me. Sometimes I start journaling and I ask a higher power “what is wanting to be birthed in me today and shared with the world?” Sometimes it’s as though the world stops around me and there is a vortex of energy that begins to flow, and the words write me. Often my eyes are closed, or I am awakened like a jolt of lightening from a dead sleep and words pour out of me from my pen to paper. Other times thoughts come to me during the day or when I am reading someone else’s work and I jot down a quick note until I can come back to it later to expand on my thoughts.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

The solitude of being with myself in stillness. Other times it’s like a jigsaw puzzle coming together that comes slowly and then like a bolt of lightning. When a reader resonates with my work it is extremely fulfilling as well. Hearing that they have gained clarity from an issue that arose by reading me or have reached out beyond their comfort zone is also deeply satisfying to know my work is useful.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

It really does and each setting I’m in evokes different feelings. If I’m looking at a vista or picture words tend to pop out at me in much the same way I imagine an artist finds brush strokes and paints.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

I have to say I love a book that makes me laugh or gives me insight. Erma Bombeck, an American humorist and author wrote books that put me in stitches when I was raising children. I loved Hugh Prather’s book, Notes to Myself that left powerful passages to ponder in my life. The Way of The Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman is one of my all-time favorites because the story is rich with symbolism and growth. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho was another book that made a huge impression on me in following my dreams. Poetry has made its way into my heart these days where fewer words are truly a gift which comes to me out of nowhere. It has become my favorite genre along with metaphysical books.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

I really can’t pick one person as there are so many that have influenced my life in one way or another. I am forever grateful to each one of them for the love and support they have given me. But if I had to pick just one, I would say my husband for being here for every step of my journey from getting me through typing (in 10th grade typing class) and being my rock and pillar in all areas of my life, even though we are polar opposites in well, almost everything. 😘

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

I am so deeply grateful to all of you for voting for me and appreciating my work. I thank you truly for this honor that I am extremely grateful for from the deepest part of my heart. Each of you inspire me daily by your beautiful writing and stories and I’m blessed to share community together. Thank you so very much.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

That my words mark footprints upon your heart, stop you in your tracks to live your life in the present moment, and love yourself exactly as you are. Always continue to strive to be your best self and take time for yourself to love, laugh, rest, play, and do what you love. To not take yourself too seriously but seriously enough that you may trust your choices and live your life authentically remembering life is but an illusion when all is said and done.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thanks for asking. When I won this award, I was so excited and I told my husband and he said, “what did you win?” I told him again, “Author of the Month for Spillwords Press, N.Y. He said I mean, “what did you win?” I told him again. The 3rd time when he asked I said “the satisfaction.” Some just don’t get butt in chair sharing your art and your love unless it has monetary value. Never let those gremlins get you down! When my book is a best seller and I’m on Oprah and traveling the world, he might realize that -:). Always strive to be your best self and mirror that to the world so others can be their best selves as well. Thank you so much to Spillwords Press for creating a space for this opportunity and giving all of us a place to share our work in the community and support.

Latest posts by Cindy Georgakas (see all)