Interview Q&A With Jan Smith at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Jan Smith

Interview Q&A with Jan Smith

@JanSmithNL

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Jan Smith, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of March 2018.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

To have won Author of The Month is a great honour to me. For readers to enjoy my work and to be recognised among many wonderful and talented writers is a great personal achievement

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

My family and friends and indeed wider circle on social media, especially Twitter have given me much encouragement and support, helping me to continue writing and such connections and friendships have influenced me as we share a lot of our experiences along life’s journey together.

  1. What inspires you to write?

The changing seasons inspire me, as they are reflections of our lives, nothing stays the same, the ebb and flow of things I guess. And with this comes the skills and strengths that inspire my work on a daily basis; including, resilience, mindfulness, soul connections and loving kindness.

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

I have written academically, but never anything like the poetry I write now. My journey into self discovery lead me to reading relevant poetry and prose, and to begin to write my feelings and emotions down straight from my heart has played a large part of this personal journey.

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process?

I may read a particular article, poem or book and gather key words, quotes etc. that have particular meaning to me. A lot of the time though, a theme will just pop into my head, and words flow straight from my head, to my heart and onto pages. I hand write most of my poems, something nice about this.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

Being able to express emotions, thoughts, and feelings, especially when others can relate to my words, and if they bring a sense of hope, calmness or healing, that’s very fulfilling to me.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

Sometimes it does in a very powerful way, I see spring flowers, the sun setting, or a person who looks sad maybe lonely or without a home, emotions spill with ease onto paper. Other times it’s purely my imagination, through my senses that create a magical story, maybe a memory or daydream about the future, or feelings captured in that very moment.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

I read a lot of mindfulness, well-being literature, and poetry throughout the ages.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

There are a few, some close to me, others I have never met, but of them all, I would have to say, my dad. He passed away when I was 18, but left me with many happy memories, and taught me everything I needed to know about kindness and compassion.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

It is an honour to share my work with such talented writers and to be apart of the Spillwords community per se. The feedback I have received has helped me so much, encouraging me to continue to write and hopefully improve my skills.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

If my work in some way inspires others to write or just enjoy poetry, to share the gift of storytelling that connects us all together, touching readers hearts and souls, that would be a wonderful legacy.

Latest posts by Jan Smith (see all)