Ode to Autumn, a poem by Reena Mahay at Spillwords.com

Ode to Autumn

Ode to Autumn

written by: Reena Mahay

@tweet__reena

 

An unsolicited shift knocks
— A seasonal facelift!

The vibrant rainbow hues mark a transition to dull greys;
The twirl and twist ballet of leaves sway in queues;
The dreich mist and dew-drops implant, silent blanket hugs.
Oh! The summer’s hot youth has set its toe in a wrap.

The fiery sheen of the red orb seems coy;
Mortal bones shudder for cover in nightly strolls.
Hairy hares marvel at their hibernated doze in burrowed silos.
Half-naked trees pose frigid like zombies in glazed streets.

The barren moors hoot raucous afar with their golden tufts.
Mellowed fruits, swollen greens and blown roots rest as gleaming yields in granaries.
Drenched peasants – stock and pile fresh seeds as booty in cold cellars.
Mockingbirds, larks, parrots and woodpeckers flirt and feast on the fallen dregs.

Faces – all decked with a scarlet glow and spirits uplifted with golden-orange influx.
Childish mirth – rustling over brown crunchy pathways – lends play a therapeutic taste.
Puny creatures basking beneath the damp canopies oft pop a curved sneak peek.
Hurricanes of winnowing winds ferociously chase yellow carpets to far-off lands.

Wintery chill escalates in the air as the Sun covers its face with sparing streaks of rays.
Woods grow flabby with the velvety moss; boughs bounce doggedly from the brutal toss.
Squirrels dash and pant grabbing colossal nuts – hard labor in store – as the frosty lunch.
Migratory birds wave adieu to vales and soar in chained fleets for sumptuous warmer days.

I perch rhyming by the brook – hooked to its tunes of melodious burbles in a plash.
Love frolics under the mango, maple or chinkara’s rain – a kiss – a heart’s promise engraved.
Bright bonfires greet beats and lyrics silhouetting burning desires afloat in twinkling eyes.
That’s the balmy embrace of the nascent fall – blossoming with a comely grace.

No drop, here, in vain! Every rung flung from lush green – red – gold – brown – black ash
To sprout again – harboring the cosmic evolution and divine order stealthily in pace!

Subscribe to our Newsletter at Spillwords.com

NEVER MISS A STORY

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER AND GET THE LATEST LITERARY BUZZ

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest posts by Reena Mahay (see all)