Spotlight On Writers - Grace Y. Estevez, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Grace Y. Estevez

Spotlight On Writers

Grace Y.Estevez

@GraceoftheSun1

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I was born in Queens, New York. My parents are originally from the Dominican Republic, so I was fortunate to be able to visit the Dominican Republic every summer. Both the Dominican Republic and New York are very culturally diverse. This has exposed me to numerous cultures and their fascinating perceptions of life. In the process, they have become parts of me so I now see myself as hailing from the world at large.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

I consider Hendersonville, NC to be my home. There is much to love here but I would have to pick the views as being one of my favorite. It is located in Western North Carolina, nestled high in the Blue Ridge Mountains near the city of Asheville. Around here, the vast majority of what I see is panoramic views of nature on an ever-changing canvas that flows with the seasons. Nature lacks no resources here and I am blessed to be able to experience it year round.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

For me, creativity happens sporadically and just about anything can inspire it. It might occur mid-conversation or while watching television or while observing nature or listening to music. When it strikes, I sometimes have to excuse myself so I can free flow and jot down a poem. I feel that everything and everybody in life has a purpose and by being in the moment, that awareness inspires me.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Choosing just one word is a bit difficult for me as words represent our best attempt to convey our ever-evolving emotions. I do like the word enlightened though as I take it to mean being freed from ignorance and misinformation. I find that so much suffering has its roots in misunderstanding.

Her mind feels free,
no longer frightened.
Her heart turns keys,
each day enlightened.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

My greatest pet peeve is disloyalty. This is true whether it is directed towards me or I am simply a witness to it. I understand that people have their reasons for their actions and often disloyalty can be a necessary catalyst for two people to separate so they can continue their individual journeys. That being said, disloyalty repels me as the lack of honesty and gratitude has a way of tarnishing my view of the person. I like being myself and feel somewhat restrained when around disloyal people.

  1. What defines Grace Y. Estevez?

I am someone who is always searching for ways to make life better. One of the things I realized along the way is that my happiness includes the people around me being happy as well. I love sharing what I have learned in order to present people with possibilities. I start most of my poems with an emotional understanding into a specific issue and try to take my readers on a journey towards an answer that can open the door to resolution and ultimately happiness.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Jim LathamSpotlight On Writers – David J. Roussel >>
Latest posts by Grace Y. Estevez (see all)
This publication is part 297 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers