Spotlight On Writers - Mark Russo, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Mark Russo

Spotlight On Writers

Mark Russo

@mrusso35913173

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
Well, I’m a rambler. Started out in the Bronx, New York around the corner from the Gothic walls of Fordham University; made a short stop in Cleveland, Ohio to wait for my father to get his degree from Case Western Reserve; then got bogged down in Cincinnati, Ohio for my formative years; and finally, twenty-some years ago, settled down in the woods of Kennebunkport, Maine a mile from the Atlantic Ocean.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The six black ravens that haunt the white birch and oak trees in our backyard every morning eyeing the squirrels who forage beneath the bird feeders eating the sunflower seeds that the chickadees irreverently scatter all over the ground.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Firefly-like memories; a harvest moon; a crooked smile; a human condition shared by a different language; and a good story.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

A word, in and of itself, solipsistic, has no attraction for me. What mesmerizes me is the word’s evolution within the individual community and situation that embody it at the time I find it. The same word in a different context takes on a new life like a chameleon. For example, an apocalypse in an amber field of grain baking beneath a paternal sun. I enjoy watching it emerge, overcome and surrender.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

It irritates me that the formula of life is so short and its solution so arcane that we are never able to fully make use of it. It seems to me that since our conception, we’ve only been left with disconnected parenthetical answers.

  1. What defines Mark Russo?

That’s a good question to which I have no answer. I only hope, however, that parts of me exist in everything and parts of everything, in me.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Valli Henry-BoldiniSpotlight On Writers – Monika Ajay Kaul >>
Latest posts by Mark Russo (see all)
This publication is part 329 of 399 in the series Spotlight On Writers