Barter Economy, fiction by Johannes Springenseiss at Spillwords.com
SeventyFourImages

Barter Economy

Barter Economy

written by: Johannes Springenseiss

 

Saturday morning. I am on a business trip in a Central American country.

Watching TV, I stumble on a talk show. A middle-aged woman is crying that her daughter has recently taken to paying for everything with sex. The text bar shows the phone number for the viewers to call in with suggestions. My heart goes out to the poor mother but – different culture, language problems – what kind of advice could I offer?

The woman’s face is visibly tormented and even though she is over forty she still has beautiful facial features. I imagine her minus twenty years; no wonder her daughter can leave the money home or in the bank when she goes shopping.

Suddenly I am feeling guilty. Hello! There’s an unfortunate lady on national TV telling tens of thousands of viewers about the family shame and I allow such cynical thoughts to occur to me? Philosophers who believe men never grow up may just be right. Perhaps I should change the channel to something edifying like church service or hyenas eating zebra.

Now the photo of the wayward daughter appears on the screen. I somersault for the phone. “Estoy para ayudarle a la pobre chica. Deme su numero. [I am ready to help the poor girl. Give me her phone number.]”

Latest posts by Johannes Springenseiss (see all)