Spotlight On Writers - Bob Laurie, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Bob Laurie

Spotlight On Writers

Bob Laurie

@boblaurie757

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, and moved to central New Jersey in 1992. Brooklyn was a wonderful place to grow up, and it took a while to get used to New Jersey life. When I first moved here after getting married, I called my town Mayberry because it reminded me of the town on the Andy Griffith show.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The small-town home life provided a great place to raise my family and going home at the end of each day to see them is still one of the greatest joys I have in life.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

A quiet and peaceful place where I can pray or meditate, or sometimes a walk on the beach or in the woods gives me a creative spark. At these times, I think about the moments of my life that brought happiness or sadness. These emotions connected to an event can be the root or foundation of a story worth telling.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

My favorite word is grace because it describes everything beautiful in this world and universe.

I looked into the vast beauty of space and pondered if it would be a black void if not for grace.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Self-publishing authors write because they have a calling. Hundreds of hours go into writing a book, and most have full-time jobs. We write in our spare time, and it’s not for the money. Then we finish and get a person that rips the work apart amid others that praise it or give kind constructive criticism. As writers, we accept and look for constructive criticism because that’s how we hone our craft, but I don’t see a reason for bad reviews. The people that give bad reviews never worked as hard as a writer because if they did, they would give no review instead of a bad one. Somehow it gives them pleasure to tear an author down. I wish these people could wear a writer’s shoes for one day.

  1. What defines Bob Laurie?

I’m finishing my third thriller novel, or as I like to call them, inspirational thrillers. I love writing suspense and ending with an inspirational message about God and/or family. However, my characters are real to life. They drink, curse and can be violent, that’s why I don’t use genre of Christian or spiritual. I leave religion out of it because it can turn people off. However, I believe embracing God and family is the key to happiness on this earth, and I want to inspire people to find happiness through my stories. I don’t hammer my message but rather incorporate it gently toward the end of the story after the protagonist goes through the suspenseful trials and tribulations.
I also write inspirational poems and short stories when I’m not in the thick of writing a novel. Bob Laurie is a writer that endeavors to inspire his readers to find happiness in a world where so many people seem so unhappy.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Esme Lee WilmotSpotlight On Writers – Stephen Kingsnorth >>
Latest posts by Bob Laurie (see all)
This publication is part 326 of 399 in the series Spotlight On Writers