Spotlight On Writers - David L Painter, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – David L Painter

Spotlight On Writers

David L Painter

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I come from Cleveland, Ohio by way of the beautiful community of Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up in Charleston provided me with a unique perspective. I’ve experienced a background of diverse people and divergent scenery, as the town is uniquely geographically positioned, where the Kanawha River divides city and industry from the wild and wonderful Appalachian Mountains.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

As a resident of Cleveland for over 50 years, this community is unique in’s a variety of offerings. My city is wrought with a diversity of culture, entertainment, history, and world class healthcare. Boasting three major professional sports teams, one of the nation’s best performing arts campuses and, being the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll, many museums and music venues, one can never get tired of exploring the community’s offerings.

Cleveland’s irreverent nature coupled with a rich history and abundant resources, extend to our parks and recreation including Cleveland Metroparks and Cuyahoga Valley National Park which provide a respite for nature in an otherwise busy city.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Creatively, I find inspiration in a variety of places. I believe words matter and sometimes a single word ignites a creative spark. I find the human experience interesting and scenes that unfold, my children, my family, or conversations with others can inspire something deep inside of my being.

Additionally, I have always been moved by music and other poets’ work which speak to me on a uniquely emotional level. There’s never a lack of creative inspiration which I think shows through in my own work.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

My favorite word is love. I like the way it sounds, how it rolls off your tongue and seems to encompass you in a bright light no matter how dark the setting is. It’s radiance. It’s love.

Since I’m a poet, why not use it in a poem?

I hold the sun in one hand until
it gets too heavy to bear, I put it down
and it becomes night.
I hold the water in both hands it seeps out
becoming oceans, seas, rivers

and lakes.

I hold the earth with a sweep of my hand
it divides the seas
I breathe, and man awakens
then flying things take to the air,
the oceans become alive
and dead things come to life.

That’s what love is.
Alive.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Patience, I hear it’s a virtue and one I’ve tried to master for years.

I believe it’s human nature to want things in your own time and at your own pace, but I still forget the universe does things in her own time.

I can find patience and grace for my poetry and even for those I love, but perhaps not having the aptitude, for all those external life things you can’t control has made me a better author.

They say tortured artists are a dime a dozen, and patience sure does torture me.

  1. What defines David L Painter?

I’m defined by my roles in life; self-created labels that have brought me countless years of joy. I am a husband, a father, and a friend.

I believe in hard work and that there is always a solution to a problem. Likewise, I take pride in working with my hands. Whether it’s an act of service for someone I love or building something from scratch, I relish helping others.

Conversely, I find solitude restorative and relish my alone time. Whether passing the time in nature exploring or doing photography, one of my other passions, or outside with a pen and pad scribbling poems, I enjoy discovering the depths of my creativity.

Latest posts by David L Painter (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Christina CiufoSpotlight On Writers – Lori Marchesin >>
This publication is part 323 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers