Spotlight On Writers - Kelli J Gavin, an interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Kelli J Gavin

Spotlight On Writers

Kelli J Gavin

@KelliJGavin

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I am originally from Forest Lake, Minnesota. I have lived the past 16+ years in Carver, Minnesota. I love living in the county yet close to the Twin Cities.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

Carver, Minnesota is rich with history. Originally a river boat town, Carver was booming in the mid 1800’s. As railroads were expanded, fewer people made their home in Carver. 87 homes and structures are on the National Historic Registry in the City of Carver. Today, less than 5000 people call Carver home. We enjoy having many small Occasional Stores which open up into the Historic Chaska Brick buildings and homes. Our town is home to the gorgeous Carver Park Reserve where there are large bodies of water, wooded walking trails, gorgeous huge shade trees, and protected animals and birds. I love having endless acres to explore. Our small downtown floods frequently in the spring when the Minnesota River rises. Currently the entire Carver Park Reserve is flooded, but our city streets remained flood free this spring.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

I love reading great books and watching movies. If I find an amazing story with engaging characters, I feel inspired to write. I watched the movie The Highwaymen last night. Excellent plot, great script. I have googled 6 things in the last 12 hours about Texas Highwaymen in the early 20’s and 30’s. I think there are still a few stories waiting to be told.

Because the majority of what I write is non fiction short stories, I have become a bit of people watcher. I welcome stories from conversations I have overheard, or odd public situations I have observed. Sometimes, stories come running at me and continue to pester me until I sit down and commit them to paper. I have found it is easier to comply and write the story, than to be awake in the night plotting and arranging the stories that need to be written.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Shenaniganator

A Shenaniganator I may be, but you should know, it is truly me.
(Let it be know that rhyming poetry will never be focus. Also, I am fully aware this may not be a real word. But is is a mighty fine word to me.)

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Are you asking me to narrow it down to just one? I can’t do that. But I can share my top five. 🙂
–  Simple misspelled words or errors in published books.
–  My children acting as if they might actually die when I ask them to help me with simple household chores.
–  My own need to constantly interrupt people when they are speaking. It is so rude and makes other people feel as if what they have to say isn’t as important as what I think I must say at that very moment.
–  I believe I have a better memory than I really do. I always seem to have a rush of great story ideas right as I am drifting off to sleep. I tell myself – Remember this. It is important. – Let me tell you, I never remember what I thought was so important. Never. Not once. That notebook and pen placed in my bedside table drawer were placed there for a reason. It is up to me to use them.
–  I live in a residential neighborhood. My neighbor across the street has decided that building stock cars in his garage is an excellent idea. All hours of the night and day we hear soldering, drilling and the revving of engines. It used to be okay for me to complain that he was disturbing my children and their sleep when they were little. But now they are 12 and 16, my kids might even think it is somewhat cool. Also, I AM WRITING A BOOK, is not a good thing to yell at someone when they are making too much noise. Because additional rebellion usually displays itself… with an influx of said noise.

  1. What defines Kelli J Gavin?

I like this question. I am a woman of my word and a truth teller. My yeses are yes and no’s are no. If I say I will do something, I will do it. But also, I will not agree to something that I do not want to do. I desire to be the trusted friend and confidant. One that doesn’t gossip or feel the need to look down my nose at anyone. I want to be the one that encourages others and always helps when I can. I try to impress these important traits upon my daughter. I want her to understand that admirable characteristics spring naturally from the outpouring of a person’s heart.

When I talk to my kids, I share with them what my mom often repeated. “When someone dies, people rarely reflect on physical beauty. No one says – OH! They were so pretty! – No. They say things like, Remember how they loved people and served others. Remember how they didn’t always choose the easy way, but they chose the right way. Do your best to follow in their footsteps.” Wise words from a dearly missed mom.

Latest posts by Kelli J Gavin (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Andrew ScobieSpotlight On Writers – Tim Gardiner >>
This publication is part 142 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers