The Story of I and U, fable by Eugenette Morin at Spillwords.com
Gaelle Marcel

The Story of I and U

The Story of I and U

written by: Eugenette Morin

 

This is the story of I and U and how they managed to become tentative friends.

Let me start by saying that these two are not often paired and share little common territory. With little-to-no blending qualities, their relationship has been mediated by, and through, others. In this way, they have managed to achieve some balance between them.

The relationship starts, fraught with I’s power, for it never comes alone. I is always with Me, whereas U only ever is with itself; alone but not necessarily lonely. U can pluralize and formalize itself at will. I doesn’t really do that, does I? The unevenness remains though.

I and Me have double weight and usually carry double the reward as well. Not very sporting of I, but what can U do? They are forever joined, sewn together, never apart. Neither exists without the other. Confounding, but there U has it; it’s just the way it is. Or is it? What if U found a bridge? A connector of some sort, someone who could be a friend to both I and U?

Therefore, U starts at the beginning, asking A and B to join them, but both find themselves unable to fill the task and advise him to go directly to C. C is a chameleon that sees and reflects as proven by the individuals that make up the sea. C agrees to connect them, and U can finally C Me, though I is still illusive. With C, U gets to C Me more clearly and can concentrate on the one, reducing the anxiety of being outnumbered.

Funnily enough, I appreciates when C comes around too, even if U ignores I at those times, because I can C U so much better. It’s almost like a pair of glasses. I can C U pluralize and it’s absolutely fascinating, so many hues of U’s. I doesn’t know if U knows that I knows that U can do that, but it doesn’t matter. I still loves it when C helps.

Jealous, O has noticed these shenanigans and won’t be left out. After all, O is U’s closest friend. They share many sounds and variations. They orchestrate so many exceptions and thumb their noses at the complexities of writing sounds. Naughty and incorrigible, their duo is unmatched. They are even better with G and H, but Me reserves them for I whenever possible. They never invite G and H when I is in the neighborhood.

So, O reminds U that I O U is the combination that most favors U; the one most on U’s side is O. And while that is true, O has forgotten that U can O Me, and that is much less enjoyable, and feels a little wrong in a weird way. O forgets that I shares everything with Me in a much closer relationship than O can fathom. Yet, O still gives added weight to U when Me is silent, and tips the scale ever so slightly towards U. I doesn’t always like it, but what can I do if Me doesn’t want to join in the fray? I can’t do it alone. It’s not like when C is around.

Now, it may come to mind that few others would want to join the uneasy friends, but that would be wrong. It’s just that they are so selective when together.

Nevertheless, some have observed these carrying-on’s and have introduced themselves to I and U. Upon meeting them, M and R are the ones that bring them closest, help them to reach each other better; Me agrees. I M U is a strong position filled with empathy and understanding. U R Me is similarly brimming with love and acceptance. The mood suddenly changes when they arrive, the triangle instantly becomes easier to navigate.

Yet, the best times are when I and Me invite C, M, and R together – though U often balks at leaving O behind. Still, even if O is there, the connections and links shared among them create a web of meaning that is beautiful to behold.

To bring together two independent spirits in an equilibrium requires much empathy, courage, and love. Lucky that others have joined allowing this network of goodwill to be created and maintained. And so, the moral of this story is that even when it seems impossible, reaching the other is always doable – but you may need a mediator or more to help.

Latest posts by Eugenette Morin (Gen) (see all)