Interview Q&A with Greg Massey, a writer at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A With Greg Massey

Interview Q&A with Greg Massey

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Greg Massey, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of Jan/Feb 2020.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

It is truly an honor. There are so many wonderful writers in the Spillwords family, and when I think about the millions of people that Spillwords reaches with their publication, I am humbled to have been selected as Author of The Month.

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

The answer to this could fill many pages. At the same time, words are few and the answer is found in the smile in my eyes. My family and friends inspire many of the stories and poems that I pen, and they also provide the support and encouragement needed to continue searching for the next best word to pen on a piece of parchment.

  1. What inspires you to write?

There’s not much that doesn’t inspire me. Externally, I’m inspired by nature and life on a farm. My family, friends, students, and colleagues all inspire me in their own ways whether they’re aware of this or not. Internally, I’ve got a high-geared motor to succeed, and it’s a joy when I can help or inspire others.

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

My children. They’ve been warriors, and they’ve maintained character and integrity throughout the years. Their collective heartbeats keep my one heart beating.

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process?

Moleskin notebooks and pencils are always at hand. I’ll stand at my kitchen island for a few hours each morning and listen as the Muse speaks. That’s where most of the writing takes place. However, this latest poem was penned on a scrap piece of wood while I was at the barns feeding cows and horses. My process is to immediately put the words to paper when they come.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

Finding the right word. Of the 174,000 something words that we have in the English language, finding the best word to convey thoughts and emotions is fulfilling once it’s achieved.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

Yes. Sometimes the mind’s eye needs encouragement.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

Southern Gothic. Hemingway is my favorite author along with Faulkner and Larry Brown. Flannery O’Connor is another in this genre that I love.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

There are so many. My parents, wife, and children are all at the top. If I must choose one individual, I choose my grandfather. He was one awesome man.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

I’m shaking hands and hugging necks inside. I thank each individual who voted for me and for taking the time to do so, and I thank them for reading the works of the authors within the Spillwords family. I’m honored; thank you.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

I’d like to be remembered as a writer that others can study and learn from in order to better their own writings. I hope to pass the torch along that other writers have handed to me.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?

I’d like to thank my fellow Spillwords writers. So many of the poems and stories that I’ve read over the years have touched and inspired me. The efforts from these writers is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Spillwords, for what you do to promote the literature that we all love. Keep writing!

Latest posts by Greg Massey (see all)