Interview Q&A with Phyllis P. Colucci, a writer at Spillwords.com

Interview Q&A with Phyllis P. Colucci

Interview Q&A with Phyllis P. Colucci

@FictionTarot

 

We offer our first and exclusive Q&A Interview with Phyllis P. Colucci, a writer whose literary works have been featured on our Spillwords pages as well as being Author of the Month of October 2019.

 

  1. What does it mean to be selected as Author of The Month?

I was honored to be selected as “Author of the Month” because, as a writer, I take personal pride in my work. Whatever it is that I decide to share with the world, I always review it, edit it, change it, rewrite it, and read it back as if I were someone other than myself reading the poem or the fiction for the very first time. I then rate it and review it in my head. Once I feel satisfied, I hit the Send or Submit button and put it out there in hopes the readers will be satisfied as well. With that said, being selected as Author of the Month turned my passion for writing into reality, where there is no turning back. I am out there revealing my feelings, desires, emotions and vulnerabilities through my writing. That can be a very lonely and fearful place for a writer. However, when you are recognized for your writing accomplishments, you suddenly transform into a proud and confident author, respectfully sharing the spotlight with other wonderful authors, in a literary world I like to call home. Thank you Spillwords Press for this opportunity. Being selected as Author of the Month is so rewarding and so very special.

  1. How have your friends and/or family influenced your writing?

Many of my friends and family support my passion and my accomplishments for writing with a kind word, a special comment, or a “vote” now and then on Spillwords. Some have read my ebooks on Amazon and took the time to rate and review them – and that is so vital for any author out there promoting and marketing their work. The kindest gestures in support of my writing, no matter how big or small, have the greatest influence on me – and this gives me the confidence to start my next project. To all these special people, I am eternally grateful.

  1. What inspires you to write?

There are so many “triggers” out there which inspire me to write. I’ve learned by my own writing and through the works of others, that writers view the world much differently than non-writers. They see, hear and feel the simplest things through their hearts and emotions as well as through their eyes and ears, and create great stories from there. A “trigger” can be as innocent as a child’s voice, as calming as a fragrant garden, as welcoming as a great cup of coffee, as spiritual as the flight of a bird, as magical as a dream, or as real as the people we come in contact with on a daily basis. It’s all of life’s “triggers” that inspire me to write.

  1. What was your writing catalyst?

My writing catalyst was, and is, living “life”. Life can be so simple, yet so complicated. Everyday is a new adventure, a new idea, and a new story. Observing the world and the people around me with an open eye and an open mind, will motivate the “writer” in me.

  1. Tell us a little bit about your writing process?

My writing process is simple. I always keep a pen and writing pad within reach at all times, even next to my bed at night. There are times I will wake up in the middle of the night with some idea that came to life in my dream, and I will immediately jot it down in a few sentences. Whether I am in my house or outdoors, I know something I see or hear is going to be the beginning of my next writing project. It may be unexpected, but it will happen. From there, outlines are constructed, then poems and stories are created – word by word, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph, story by story. My cell phone camera also helps capture the next writing idea through the magic of photos.

  1. What would you say is most fulfilling about writing?

What I find most fulfilling about writing is that it keeps me happy. It’s an extension of who I am and who I want to be as a person. It is always there for me. I am connected to it on a daily basis. To know that I can find my “happy place” at my laptop during the quiet times of the day, after a hectic day, or during the calm evening hours, is a gift. A gift of creation and self-expression that I can eventually share with the world.

  1. Does the addition of imagery help to tell your story?

 I find that imagery through written words most definitely helps to tell my story. It is so important for the reader to see and feel the action of a story through the images created by the author. I always say that an author creates pictures/images through words, while an artist creates pictures/images through brushstrokes. However, the images created by words will hopefully set the reader’s imagination on fire and hold their attention. If that happens, the author has succeeded.

  1. What is your favorite reading genre?

I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction, as long as it holds my attention. I prefer Contemporary Fiction (romance, mystery, suspense) since I find it easier to relate to, and I also love writing that type of fiction. I am not a fan of Science Fiction, but that’s not to say it isn’t interesting. Reading is an individual preference. Anything non-fiction that is informative and has to do with history, health, science, and biographies, I thoroughly enjoy as well.

  1. What human being has inspired you the most?

So many people have inspired me over the years; my parents, my sister, my son, my teachers, friends and family members. However, if I had to choose one person as it relates to my passion for writing, I would have to say Edgar Allan Poe. I absolutely love his bizarre, gothic writing style and his distinct choice of words and imagery. His poems and short stories are beyond normal, and I find him intriguing. Poe would be one person I would love to sit down and have a conversation with if that were possible. I was inspired by him and his writings at a very young age, when I was first introduced to “The Raven” and “Annabel Lee” in Junior High School.

  1. What message would you have for the Spillwords Press community that voted for you?

I want to sincerely thank everyone in the Spillwords Press community who voted for me. Whether you are a writer or a reader, I am so very grateful to all those who took the time to read my work, and vote on it. I am also honored to be part of this talented writing community as an author, and I am thankful to Spillwords Press for the opportunity to contribute and share my work. I have met many interesting people through Spillwords, and I will cherish the literary relationships that we all share. May we continue to support each other, and keep the readers hungry for more. So happy writing, happy reading, and happy voting to all.

  1. What would you like your legacy as a writer to be?

I would hope that my legacy as a writer would be that I entertained people through words, took them on journeys through storytelling, and somehow made a difference in their lives through fiction and poetry.

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add?

Writers need the support of readers. Always remember to vote and/or leave a rating/review, whenever possible. Positive or negative – your vote, rating and review count. It means you took the time to read the work of a passionate author. Remember that authors serve their words upon life’s platters for everyone to ingest. It may be feast, or famine for some, but there is always something there for everyone. So if you taste a piece of an author’s freshly baked “literary pie”, the hope is that you come back for more. A special thank you to Spillwords Press for giving writers a voice and readers a story. Thank you All, and God Bless!

Latest posts by Phyllis P. Colucci (see all)