Spotlight On Writers - Carrie Magness Radna, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Carrie Magness Radna

Spotlight On Writers

Carrie Magness Radna

@cmrboxwoodstar1

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I grew up in Norman, Oklahoma, which hosts the University of Oklahoma (Go SOONERS!), so I grew up with a flux of educated people who came from far away, all trying to make the world a better place from the education they have received at OU. It was wonderful to grow up in Norman, to be surrounded with different cultures. Also, the countryside of Oklahoma is majestic: wide open spaces, hills, mountains, the prairie, the rivers, the wildlife.

In 2004, I moved to New York City for a great job at New York Public Library. And, I met my husband there. For 17 years, it’s been my home. I love NYC!

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

If home is “where you hang your hat,” I would say NYC still is electric. It has all of the best people of the world who come here; they find their spark, mojo, confidence, and their creativity. People who visit here are enthralled by the buildings, the crowds and its sheer energy.

If home is “where the heart is,” whenever I come back to Oklahoma (haven’t been for a long time, thanks to COVID), I can just breathe and wander around, and enjoy the stillness.

(Then, after a few days, I’m ready for the noise again…)

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Many things! Conversations, how a light looks in the morning/evening, people I see while I walk, objects, movies, music playing on the radio, just real life itself. I love taking these little bits of random ephemera throughout the day, piecing out these “experiences” together, like a jigsaw puzzle, to create poetry.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Contemplate. I’ve been doing it since childhood—

Don’t look too long—we need to leap
out of our doldrums, dear Sisters!
You often contemplate
before taking the next step.
What are you afraid of? The world?
The world will be waiting for you to arrive.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Fakeness. Arrogance. Stupidity.

  1. What defines Carrie Magness Radna?

I am a creator. I love creating something new, whether it’s writing poetry, taking pictures, drawing, or singing with my choir. I am a citizen of the world, and someday I will travel again to see places I’ve never been before. I am hard worker. I am an empath. I get stressed a lot, sometimes depressed, but I bounce back. I love/miss my family members living in Oklahoma, Texas, Montana and New York. I love my husband. And, after a whole lifetime, I love myself.

Latest posts by Carrie Magness Radna (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – David LohreySpotlight On Writers – John Anthony Fingleton >>
This publication is part 282 of 396 in the series Spotlight On Writers