Spotlight On Writers - Nnane Ntube, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Nnane Ntube

Spotlight On Writers

Nnane Ntube

@NnaneNtube

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
Born and bred in Kumba, a town in the South West region of Cameroon named “The Green Town”, I did part of my primary education and later moved to Foumban, West region of Cameroon, where I completed my primary education and did part of my lower secondary studies. I returned to Kumba, completed both the lower secondary and higher secondary studies. In 2008, I enrolled at the University in Yaounde. In 2009, I got entrance to the Higher Teachers’ Training College, Yaounde. I graduated from both, the University and the teachers’ college in 2011 and 2012, respectively. In 2012, I moved to Bandjoun: specifically in a small village called Yom 3, where I taught for four years before returning to Yaounde. From Yaounde I moved to Bafia where I currently work as a teacher. But I am between Bafia and Yaounde on daily basis because of work and studies, Master’s Programme.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

Kumba is home to my childhood memories: the beautiful streams where my friends and I used to swim and play in, the rich forest fondly called “black bush” where we used to take refuge in; enjoying its fruits and florae, the busy market where I used to help my mother in selling plantains to impatient buyers, the cocoa farms where I usually hide in to contemplate the future, the cultural richness and beauty.

Great thing about Kumba is the communal life. It’s a great feeling to live in a place where people love, care and share. You don’t need to know someone before s/he can help you. One more thing I applaud is the respect for the elderly people.
Each time I travel to Kumba, I feel its warmth, love and care; which gives me peace and happiness.

Besides Kumba, the other towns I have lived in have been very hospitable. Everywhere I go to, I leave behind a part of myself which keeps inviting me to come back. It is this feeling that makes things great: Home is everywhere. My home is a blend of cultures and languages, experiences and dreams.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

The desire to right wrongs by raising awareness. In a society where positive behaviours are rapidly being dumped into rubbish bins to the benefits of negative behaviours, I sit and wonder what the future has in store for us. It’s this fright that turns me on creatively to discuss the present and call for action.

I believe that if we come to the realisation that we we are our own enemies, and enemies to nature and the environment, we will do everything to redress the situation.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

In the face of many words, I choose silence as my favourite because it speaks a lot to me. This word has been used in many of my poems. The poetic sentence below gives an insight on why it is my favourite:

Silence is the restless drum in our heads when our mouths are shy to truth.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Well, my pet peeve is when I see people littering public or private places and turn around to admire a distant cleaner place. This irritates me a lot. It’s very common to see such people in Yaounde.

No one should expect the other to create a safer place for him/her. If you want to live in a clean and safe environment, create one for yourself and value it. Do not make your environment your victim.

  1. What defines Nnane Ntube?

I am a silent observer whose words make the largest noise on papers, but caress hearts with whispers of truths.
I am a fallen leaf swept by the wind into the dungeons of the mind.

Latest posts by Nnane Ntube (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – James WalmsleySpotlight On Writers – Arpan Christy >>
This publication is part 256 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers