Spotlight On Writers - S.D. Kilmer, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – S.D. Kilmer

Spotlight On Writers

S.D. Kilmer

@SDKilmer

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
Village of Eastwood in Central New York State. The village was annexed by the City of Syracuse in 1926; making it a neighborhood or suburb of the city.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

Eastwood is a relatively quiet neighborhood. Once a strictly Euro-American population; in the past 20 years it has become increasingly diverse and inclusive. The neighbors are pleasant and interactive if you make contact. Otherwise, they respect your privacy. Eastwood is conveniently located in order to get around the rest of the city. I live in the southern section presently. My first twenty-one years of life was spent in the northern section. Actually, home is where one is comfortable and safe regardless of geographic location.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

One might assume a poet is inspired by reading poetry. I actually do not read much poetry, per se. My inspiration is found either in the lyrics of songs or life experiences and observation of people interactions.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Never thought of any single word as a favorite. In his song, “Frantic,” Boy George uses the word pedantic. In an interview he stated how he liked that word. Not because of Boy George’s favoritism but he did highlight the word for me. So for now it is pedantic. A great word with several descriptive synonyms.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

My current pet peeve is found in the groups of Facebook. The excessive use of “@everyone”. This sends a notification to all members in a particular group to view a certain post. Well, if you belong to several active groups, as I do, you end up receiving many such global notices.

  1. What defines S.D. Kilmer?

I have always liked the descriptor –from the title of one of Henri Nouwen’s books– wounded healer. I see myself as the gestalt of my reflected experiences, my choices in life and the effects of others upon me and vice versa. Vocationally I’ve always sought to help others, as a pastoral counselor or family conflict mediator or as a friend, but I believe without one’s own experience of being wounded (and hopefully healed or healing) one’s advice can be marginal, misguided and hollow.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Gina Maria ManchegoSpotlight On Writers – Melissa Lemay >>
Latest posts by S. D. Kilmer (see all)
This publication is part 370 of 398 in the series Spotlight On Writers