Spotlight On Writers - Stark Hunter, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Stark Hunter

Spotlight On Writers

Stark Hunter

 

  1. Where do you originate from?

I grew up in a small town sixteen miles from Los Angeles. President Richard Nixon had his first law office in my hometown of Whittier. His wife, Pat, taught business courses at Whittier High. My mother took Pat Ryan’s typing class in 1939. The streets of my origination were always busy it seemed, with families on the move, going to the business establishments, churches, and schools that defined our mid-20th Century life in Whittier. My house was located near an old, run-down graveyard, Whittier’s first cemetery, founded in the late 1880’s. Inside were old crumbling tombstones and overgrown weeds. A barbed-wire fence surrounded the confines. It was the spookiest, scariest place in the entire world, or so I thought at the time. I later wrote a book about this haunted locale. It was this unique, small-town setting from which my creative mind emerged.

  1. What do you cherish most about the place you call home?

I think I shall always cherish the memories of spending my youth in such a cool hometown. I had wonderful times with my family and friends and explored a plethora of interesting places. To this day I feel lucky to have grown up in such a friendly and safe community. Most of my published works are set in Whittier.

  1. What ignites your creativity?

Music. Preferably Erik Satie music. My imagination invariably experiences a shuddering of crazed atoms whenever I hear Satie’s Nocturnes playing on the piano. It’s as if my mind is going through a mental carwash, then coming out at the other end ready for the road. Other conducive musical works are Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, Riopy’s Meditation 432, Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue, and Morton Feldman’s Rothko Chapel.

  1. Do you have a favorite word and could you incorporate it into a poetic phrase?

brouhaha

Tis’ good to laugh in the mornings with a hardy brew ha ha!
Soon the Stentors will loudly bark swilling their brouhahas

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Ennui. Boredom. Monotony. The bored mind is an indescribable tragedy in the making. Empires have collapsed because somebody got bored with not having enough land and money. Boredom is anathema to the human spirit.

  1. How would you describe the essence of Stark Hunter?

Creating unique poetry, interesting musical works of art, and compelling black and white photography are the triune activities of my life as a free artist. You might say I am an engineer of the human soul.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Ellie NessSpotlight On Writers – Gabriella Balcom >>
Latest posts by Stark Hunter (see all)
This publication is part 401 of 404 in the series Spotlight On Writers