Spotlight On Writers - Ximena Escobar, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Ximena Escobar

Spotlight On Writers

Ximena Escobar

@laximenin

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I was born and raised in Santiago, Chile. When I was five our family moved to the United States, where we lived for two very forming years, in Bethesda, Maryland. Not only did I become fluent in English, but the experience planted a little seed in me, that I always saw myself living in another country. When I was 26 I met my Australian husband mid-flight across the Pacific Ocean, and after 3 years of life together in Sydney, we moved to Nottingham, England. So we are two expats who formed their home away from home; and having raised three children here, Nottingham is definitely home too. So I also hail from the UK.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

That I carry it with me. That home is my family, my friends, and every wonderful experience I’ve ever had. Sad ones too. “Home is where the heart is,” isn’t it? But also, that I always appreciate where I am and never take it for granted.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

Any human emotion, any intimate feeling or cathartic experience makes me want to capture it. Images in paintings or photographs too, or in one’s mind, sometimes explain something in an amazing way that I want to try to translate into words. To understand, I guess. And there’s the love of the craft too. I’ve always loved words, in Spanish and English, written and spoken; the magic they can create. Getting better at it as I go is a big motivation. Wanting to learn.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

Oh, gosh. There are so many wonderful words I can hardly choose one. I love the word overwhelming. I think being overwhelmed is why I write.

The overwhelming pause at the other side of a moment. #onthespot

  1. What is your pet peeve?

I couldn’t stand the sight of bare feet when I was younger, but I got over that! The word “hon” used to drive me crazy not too long ago, but I use it all the time now. On a more serious note, I find small-mindedness irritating.

  1. What defines Ximena Escobar?
My love ties, definitely. They are my joy and my sadness and often my inspiration. I wouldn’t know who I am without the people that I love. A little cheasy, but true! 
 And that I love being alive…  I am a very very lucky lady.
Latest posts by Ximena Escobar (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Jim BatesSpotlight On Writers – Romulaizer Pardo >>
This publication is part 183 of 393 in the series Spotlight On Writers