Spotlight On Writers - Matthew Roy Davey, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Matthew Roy Davey

Spotlight On Writers

Matthew Roy Davey

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

Thornbury, a small town near Bristol in England. It was a good place to be young, but by the time I reached my teenage years, it felt like a prison. At the first opportunity, I got out and fled a mile up the road. Over the years I moved progressively further away until I found myself in Japan. Then I moved back to Bristol.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

The front door. Closed.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

The mundane. I get ideas doing mindless things like washing up or taking a shower. Keep that in mind next time you read one of my stories…

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

I don’t have a favourite word, though I’m more fond of some than others. ‘Elastic’ springs to mind. I like the sounds of the words Americans use to describe their natural world. ‘Sequoia’, ‘Shenandoah’ and ‘Tournefortia’ are particularly lovely. I couldn’t begin to construct a poetic sentence with – or without – any of those words.

  1. What is your pet peeve?

I don’t have a pet; I have a zoo… Though one of them is the phrase ‘pet peeve’.

  1. What defines Matthew Roy Davey?

That would depend on who you spoke to. I’m afraid I don’t really know and if I did, I certainly wouldn’t tell you! I think people, like any decent work of art, have no definitive interpretation. There is no full stop.

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – P.A. O’NeilSpotlight On Writers – Michael Natt >>
Latest posts by Matthew Roy Davey (see all)
This publication is part 162 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers