Spotlight On Writers - Freya Pickard at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Freya Pickard

Spotlight On Writers

Freya Pickard

@FreyaPickard

 

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I was born and bred in East Sussex and love the wideness of the South Downs and the richness of the Kent Weald. But now I live in Devon near the sea and am fascinated by the constant inconsistencies of the ocean and am drawn to the wildness of Dartmoor.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

I am not sure I have a home at the moment. I used to, in East Sussex, but I gave that up to pursue a different sort of life in Devon. Home back there was a beautiful cottage with a large garden. The place I am living at the moment is not home. It is a town and I have no garden. It’s just somewhere I’m living and working. Home is something I am going to find again in the future. But my favourite aspect of my current living place is the sea – I cannot get enough of her!

  1. What turns you on creatively?

I always find it hard to answer questions such as “what turns you on creatively.” I am not totally sure how my creative process works and when I have been asked to analyse it in the past, my creativity disappeared. So I’m going to be very careful how I answer this… I find refreshment in walking in the countryside and beside the sea. I also love listening to music, I mean, really listening. Not having music on in the background while I do something else. I find vinyl feeds my soul in a way cds don’t. Both these activities – walking & music – tend to spark off poetry inside me, so I think I can safely say that these are the things that turn me on creatively!

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?
Just one favourite word? But there are so many to choose from! OK, my current favourite word is INCANDESCENT. It just rolls off the tongue and has such a lovely rhythm to it, don’t you think? Can I use it in a poetic sentence … How about –
 
Light me within
With passion or fury
I’ll burn so bright
Incandescent glory
 
Sorry, that ended up being a little poem rather than a poetic sentence. But when the muse strikes, you have to follow the flow…
  1. What is your pet peeve?

My pet peeve  –  I suppose at this point in time it would be well-meaning people who congratulate me whenever I release a new book but never actually buy a copy. Congratulations are very nice to receive, but don’t actually pay the bills. If you’re going to congratulate an author, do it when you’ve bought, read and reviewed their book! It will mean so much more to them than empty words.

  1. What defines Freya Pickard

What defines me? I am Writer. I write. I breathe. I live. Poems find me, stories discover me and I have to write them out. If I don’t, I go a bit strange and wonky. I am words, I am composition, I am the medium through which ideas take shape. I am the clay moulded by an unseen creator. My works are ideas captured and displayed for all to enjoy. I am not complicated. I am simply a Writer!

Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Eoghan LyngSpotlight On Writers – Ian Fletcher >>
Latest posts by Freya Pickard (see all)
This publication is part 97 of 399 in the series Spotlight On Writers