Left Field People, a short story by Sandra Jewell at Spillwords.com
Zenitmkt

Left Field People

Left Field People

written by: Sandra Jewell

 

Some of the nicest people I have known were off in left field. Case in point, Harriet. I used to do home health care, Harriet was one of my clients. I would arrive at her duplex and ring the bell. After fifteen minutes maybe, she would open the upstairs window to call down to me. I had been there many times, yet she didn’t remember me. Harriet told me she just woke up, and had to dress then make the bed. I explained, again, that’s what I came to do. If she would let me in, I would make the bed, assist her with a shower, as well as getting dressed. No, no, she could do it herself. I waited another forty-five minutes, until she let me in. Harriet apologized and offered me a cup of coffee. Her cat had given birth to four kittens behind the couch. Harriet had had a long talk with Miss Kitty about not going near any tomcats. Miss Kitty understood and agreed, but that tomcat was too powerful and he took advantage of her. Against protests, I cleaned the bathroom and ran the vacuum sweeper. As I left, Harriet asked me to come and visit again soon. As before, I told her I would, the next week.

Latest posts by Sandra Jewell (see all)