Spotlight On Writers - Dawn DeBraal, interview at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Dawn DeBraal

Spotlight On Writers

Dawn DeBraal

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?

I am a midwestern woman. Born in Illinois, moved to Wisconsin when I was six years old. I live about twenty miles from where I grew up after being away many years. My husband was in construction, so I followed him around for years. When we had children, we came back to be around my family while he was still on the road.

  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?

I love my old farmhouse. It’s a few miles out of town, we have privacy. We feel like we live in the country. I am safe here. There is something about planting trees and watching them grow. We stand in the shade of trees we planted 36 years ago.

  1. What turns you on creatively?

I am always open to prompts. A flip of a head, a nonchalant statement, an overheard conversation in a restaurant, a visual act of kindness. I was a prolific Christian songwriter, when the group disbanded, I lost that creative outlet. I turned to writing. I’ve always had stories in my mind. Something happens to me when the creative process starts. I know I need to catch the thought and start writing. The best stories come in waves. You sit down and write the entire short story because it’s all there and you don’t want to lose it.

  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?

“CONGRATULATIONS!”

Congratulations! You’ve been accepted.
We’ve taken your piece you’ve not been rejected!

  1. What is your pet peeve?

Mean people. I don’t like people who need to stand on others to feel good about themselves.

  1. What defines Dawn DeBraal?

Creativity. Whether it is writing songs, stories, or poetry, painting, playing music, or singing. I love to entertain. I was raised as the middle child. The one who jumps up and down to get attention. I told someone once that I was “that” kid, lifting my middle finger. They told me I had a bad attitude. I said no, I have an older brother and sister, I have a younger brother and sister. I am that kid! Writing is a way to pour my soul out, uninterrupted.

Latest posts by Dawn DeBraal (see all)
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Robbie PruittSpotlight On Writers – P.A. O’Neil >>
This publication is part 160 of 392 in the series Spotlight On Writers