The Return, flash fiction by Karen Kinley at Spillwords.com
Cristofer Maximilian

The Return

The Return

written by: Karen Kinley

@iamkarenkinley

 

The pristine beach was exactly as he remembered it from their honeymoon. Young and in love, they spent their days basking in the sun and their nights entwined in each other’s arms. They talked and laughed and walked hand in hand along this very shoreline. This little slice of heaven marked the beginning of the life they built together.

They always swore they’d return, but being here again on this particular February day felt surreal. Indeed, much had come to pass since those first days as husband and wife.

Three beautiful children, one devastating miscarriage.

Missed career opportunities, several promotions, a successful business.

Trips to the mountains, piano lessons, soccer tournaments, and more stomach bugs than one person could count.

Broken hearts, first cars, college tours.

Doctor’s appointments, chemo, hospice care.

He squeezed his toes, digging them into the cool sand. The sun was low, but his heart was high in his throat. It was time. After all, he brought her here for a reason. A thought flashed across his mind. He should’ve bought something to commemorate the day. A bouquet of flowers. A small box of chocolates, at least.

Finally, he took a deep breath. And just as the sun melted behind the horizon, he opened the urn, gently sprinkled its contents onto the wet sand by his feet, and watched as the waves washed in and pulled her out to sea. A single tear slid down his cheek and he whispered, “One last time, my love…will you be my Valentine?”

Latest posts by Karen Kinley (see all)