Spotlight On Writers - Gayl Wright at Spillwords.com

Spotlight On Writers – Gayl Wright

Spotlight On Writers

Gayl Wright

@GaylWright

 

  1. Where, do you hail from?
I am from many places and they each contribute to who I am. Born in Mississippi, raised in Florida, have lived in New Hampshire, South Dakota and New Jersey. For the last 20 years my home has been a log house on a hill in Sunset, South Carolina, near the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
  1. What is the greatest thing about the place you call home?
The best thing is that all my kids live fairly near. I love the front porch views! Even though I’m on a hill, I’m also in a valley. When I look out across the way there is a perfect view of the trees higher up as they change during each season. An evening thunderstorm brings a fantastic lightning show. The changing seasons, the forest, the wildlife, the nearby state parks and the sounds unique to rural life all contribute to make this area a beautiful place to live.
  1. What turns you on creatively?
There are many things that bring me inspiration. One of the most important is spending time outdoors walking or sitting on the hillside or porch swing. While there I listen to the beautiful song of the wood thrush, the loud croaking of frogs or barking dogs. I observe the sky with its changing cloud patterns, watch the trees dance in the wind and see the beautiful colors when leaves change. Many of my poems have come from the time spent outside. It has a way of cleansing and refreshing me.
 
As I look through magazines, cutting out pictures and words, the creativity often finds me. I turn to my art journal using what I have collected to make collages and found poetry. Other times I just start painting and wait to see what comes out of it.
 
Sometimes looking at a photo, listening to music, playing the piano or even using a one word prompt fuels my creativity. Family gatherings or other events make me want to capture them with a poem or photograph to create a lasting memory.
  1. What is your favorite word, and can you use it in a poetic sentence?
Wow, that’s a hard question! After thinking on this awhile one word that comes to mind is imagination.
Imagination is the fuel that sparks creativity and magically transports us to places unknown.
  1. What is your pet peeve?
It frustrates me when drivers slow down with no warning, then wait until they start turning to put the turn signal on. I don’t like bullies who make fun of others or put people down. The editor in me cringes when I see bad grammar or misspelled words including my own.
  1. What defines Gayl Wright? 
Besides being a wife, mother and grandmother, I am a Christian with a strong faith in God. This gives me freedom to grow into the person I am meant to be. My creativity stems from that. Writer, poet, musician, artist, lover of beauty and seeker of truth are other hats I wear.
 
I am a loving, caring person who tries to encourage others and help them see their unique qualities and know their worth. Life is sometimes hard, but I like to look for the good in it all.
 
Series Navigation<< Spotlight On Writers – Keith HoernerSpotlight On Writers – Marie Scampini/MZ CLARKE >>
Latest posts by Gayl Wright (see all)
This publication is part 49 of 399 in the series Spotlight On Writers